Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

VGA generation

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigiTan

I'm planning a put together a low-end computing system to control multiple hardware. I'm in need of a graphics display and this time, the dot matrix LCDs aren't going to be enough. Instead, I was hoping to use a some kind of flat panel monitor with VGA or SVGA capabilities. To make any use of it, I need something that converts the images I want to display into the VGA signals.

I promised myself I wouldn't reinvent the wheel, so programming my own VGA encoder is a last resort. What I'm looking for is an IC that will let me set up my graphics in some memory-mapped fashion, then send the VGA signals when I'm ready. The problem is, my usual vendors (digikey, etc) don't have anything like that. In fact, I don't even know such a chip would be called. "VGA encoder" maybe? All my searches only turn up VGA converters and amplifiers--nothing for generating both video and sync signals.

Where can I find a chip that does all this?

Doing it for VGA is likely to be MUCH more difficult, you're essentially building a PC graphics card from scratch!.

You might check the PICList?, there's a very old project for an FFT audio spectrum analyser that feeds a VGA monitor directly - you may be able to use some of that?.

hi,

This link is what someone else has done with VGA.
The 'pics' seem to be missing???

**broken link removed**

DigiTan said:
I'm planning a put together a low-end computing system to control multiple hardware. I'm in need of a graphics display and this time, the dot matrix LCDs aren't going to be enough. Instead, I was hoping to use a some kind of flat panel monitor with VGA or SVGA capabilities. To make any use of it, I need something that converts the images I want to display into the VGA signals.

I promised myself I wouldn't reinvent the wheel, so programming my own VGA encoder is a last resort. What I'm looking for is an IC that will let me set up my graphics in some memory-mapped fashion, then send the VGA signals when I'm ready. The problem is, my usual vendors (digikey, etc) don't have anything like that. In fact, I don't even know such a chip would be called. "VGA encoder" maybe? All my searches only turn up VGA converters and amplifiers--nothing for generating both video and sync signals.

Where can I find a chip that does all this?

Well the propeller chip has built in VGA output support. This is a very unusual micro-chip well off the normal beaten path, but it does have some features that make it unique.

**broken link removed**

Lefty

I guess I'll take a look at the propeller if the price is right and I don't need an expensive programming board.

There's also this chip (ADV7125) that provides the digital/analog conversion--but I would still need a memory and ucontroller or FPGA to provide transmit the video frame. And it looks like it doesn't provide its own blanking or sych signals.

Another question here. Wikipedia says the VGA connector has I2C pins. Do I need to worry about them?

Last edited:
The I2C pins on the VGA connector are for device identification. They are not required. They are used by the host hardware to determint things like supported resolutions, refresh rates and if drivers are required for the display.

So for your needs they will not be required.

Leftyretro said:
Well the propeller chip has built in VGA output support. This is a very unusual micro-chip well off the normal beaten path, but it does have some features that make it unique.
I think I just lost all interest in PIC and AVR. That thing is like a mini-Cell processor.:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back