Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Vespa rev counter / speedo conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

3narf

Hello!

I'd like to convert the speedometer of my classic Vespa scooter into a rev counter, but really know very little about electronics...

I know some basic theory and know a bit about electronic system troubleshooting (I maintain in-flight entertainment systems for a large US outfit), but wouldn't know where to start designing said instrument.

I have used a tacho in the past, made by a UK company called Scitsu, which takes a signal from the HT lead; an insulated wire from the instrument is simply attached to the HT lead using PVC tape. I'd like to use a similar arrangement if possible.

The idea is to pull apart a standard speedo and rebuild it with the relevant components. If the project is successful I'll add an LCD readout for speed, but that's another story!

I'd be interested to know if anyone has done anything similar, or has any knowledge or experience of the workings of an electronic rev counter...

Many thanks, Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back