Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Very Very New at the PIC16F84A. How do I do anything with it

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyler_91600

I'm starting a school project that uses PIC16F84A. I've already researched for about 4 weeks now, and I don't understand what the hell I'm doing. I don't understand all the lingo. I took another class that had something to do with programming, but I barely passed, so I don't really understand what to do. the only thing I know how to do is compile, and burn. I'm trying to write a test program to make an LED blink on and off, but I don't know what does what even after reading the data sheet on the PIC. If someone out there could make a code and explain it step by step, and explain everything simplily that would make my day.

AIM name: skyler41885 email: skyler_91600@yahoo.com

please someone help

you need an programer!its a litle device that you plug in the LPT port or COM port and you plug in the PIC on it.Then you need programing software wich can the write and read the flash and EEPROM memory.It also sets the confing word(its an hex number that tells the pic what oscilator to use and what fetures to enable)

as for writing the program dont strugle and bang your head whith asembely use mikroBasic its an compiler that lets you program your pic in basic.This programing language is made to be as simple as posible and there fore the easyest to learn.
You have some exsamples and on there site is an book on basic

**broken link removed**

Good luck in making your first PIC project! :D

Re: Very Very New at the PIC16F84A. How do I do anything wit

skyler_91600 said:
I'm starting a school project that uses PIC16F84A. I've already researched for about 4 weeks now, and I don't understand what the hell I'm doing. I don't understand all the lingo. I took another class that had something to do with programming, but I barely passed, so I don't really understand what to do. the only thing I know how to do is compile, and burn. I'm trying to write a test program to make an LED blink on and off, but I don't know what does what even after reading the data sheet on the PIC. If someone out there could make a code and explain it step by step, and explain everything simplily that would make my day.

AIM name: skyler41885 email: skyler_91600@yahoo.com

please someone help
As mentioned, try Nigel Goodwin's PIC tutorials at
Should help you a lot. Also go to www.microchip.com and download MPLAB - developing enviroment for PICs, and make sure you have the most recent datasheet. If you need programmer, look for JDM or SCHAIFER based programmers (HW) and for IC-prog (SW)- check my signature.

BTW: We still need new moderator to prevent people of asking such comon questons..

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back