Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Very simple voltage lowering 12v to 7.8v

Status
Not open for further replies.

markland556

Just like the topic says. It seems soo simple, i have 12v from a car (actually it changes from 12-14v) and i need a steady 7.8v. How should i do this. I need to finish this by tomarrow and im in a bind. I need the easiest way to do this. Its for a small screen in a car, the power jack runs on 120VAC and outputs 7.5VDC. So i need the strait 7.8v DC in the car..

EDIT::: Sorry, it should be 7.5V DC instead of 7.8

Last edited:
We can't help you if you don't say how much current. An LM317 can supply up to 1.5A but will need a heatsink at such a high current. Just 2 resistors set its output voltage.

one thing to watch out for though is noise - if the equipment was designed to run off 50/60hz derived smoothed dc, then it may not like the noise that you usually see on the 12v supply of a car

Leave your vehicle headlights on overnight. Tomorrow morning you'll have 7.5 volts at the cigarette lighter socket.

With the crude circuitry on the board i dont think it will be too much of an issue. Is it as easy as adding in a resistor to the power line?

hey, quick question. I got those regulators. Now im a little confused because the data sheet for it is kinda weird. But all i need to do is hook +12v into the input and the ground then the last with will have +7.5v??

my guess is that the screen actually runs on 5V and the 7.5 V requirement is to allow the regulator to do it's thing. Does the unit get hot when you run it from your wall wart? If not then I'd check the current (dmm set on current in series with the wall wart). If it's fairly low, you may actually be able to just use 12V. Even if it's too high, you should know the current to determine whether you will need a heatsink.

here's something I knocked up for ya to use...the pass transistor (3055) doesn't have to be a 3055, but anything with similar gain and current handling will do, just make sure it's insulated and on a good heatsink, because it will put out around 7W of heat...the zener diodes are pretty slack too, any combination that makes up 8.6 - 9v will do you...

I hope this helps ya out :)

Well...duh!! me :eek:

here's the corrected schematic...

Attachments

• 7.5 V 1.5A Regulator.jpg
    7.5 V 1.5A Regulator.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips