Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Very simple resistor question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myrmidon

Hello all.

I have a very basic question, halfway through my 1st year doing electronics and i'v asked my lecturer but i forgot his answer and i don't go back to wednesday.

Ok, simple circuit powering an led say. Generally you would put in the required value resistor before the led. However, in a few internet circuits i'v came across, the resistor is AFTER the led.

I'm assuming this is still limiting current but i don't get/can't remember how this is so.

So basically, can someone answer why a resistor would come after an led.

Cheers.

Myrmidon said:
Hello all.

I have a very basic question, halfway through my 1st year doing electronics and i'v asked my lecturer but i forgot his answer and i don't go back to wednesday.

Ok, simple circuit powering an led say. Generally you would put in the required value resistor before the led. However, in a few internet circuits i'v came across, the resistor is AFTER the led.

I'm assuming this is still limiting current but i don't get/can't remember how this is so.

So basically, can someone answer why a resistor would come after an led.

Cheers.

Hi Myrmdon,
In a series circuit, the same current flows through all parts of the circuit, hence the resistor limits the current through all parts of the loop, including the LED.

If you're increasing a branch resistance (regardless of where the resistor is in the branch), you are decreasing current through that branch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back