Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

very simple question PIC16F84

Status
Not open for further replies.

arod

I am reading this book describing the operation of the memory banks and it states:

"Locations 0Ch - 4Fh are general purpose registers (GPR) which are used as RAM memory. When locations 8Ch - CFh in Bank 1 are accessed, we actually access the exact same locations in Bank 0. In other words , whenever you wish to access one of the GPR registers, there is no need to worry about which bank we are in!"

I am a bit confused as to why it doesn't make a difference what bank you select. If for instance I store data in 4F, will the same data in 4F be in CF? The answer is probably obvious, but I cannot seem to grasp it.

edit: I think I answered my own question lol, but why does it do that anyways. It seems like a waste of space.

Last edited:
The 8Ch - CFh area isn't actually implemented, there is no RAM in reality there. So nothing is wasted.;)

Common bank

No a waste at all! There is an advantage and a great one.

It doen's matter what bank is actuallys elected; those registers in that area may be used without changing the bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back