Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

(very?) simple integrate circuit question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnickelson

This is related to another post i have in one of the other forums, so please excuse me if this seems to be a double post, but I have a question on a simple piece of my project.

Is there an integrated circuit such that, when momentary voltage is applied to one pin, it will alternate a connection between a second pin and a number of alternate pins? For example, if i send voltage through a momentary switch to pin 1, pin 2 would complete a circuit with pin 6. Then when i apply voltage to pin 1 second time, the pin 2 to pin 6 circuit would open and pin 2 would complete a circuit to pin 7, repeating to pin 8, then 9, through, say, 6 connections?

A related question, if any above scenario is possible, are any integrated circuits able to handle continuous 12 volts at 15-20 amps? Looking for an application on a vehicle and wondering if an IC is able to handle loads associated with taillights and such, or if i would need to look at including a large number of relays for each application.

Thanks for your consideration,
-Dan

Others here may help you with the logic, but no, no single IC will handle 15-20A mutiple outputs. Use DC SSRs for simplicity (but not cheap) or relays, or power FETs (but make sure they can handle hi turn on currents and spikes/shorts typical in an automotive enviroment)

Is there an integrated circuit such that, when momentary voltage is applied to one pin, it will alternate a connection between a second pin and a number of alternate pins? For example, if i send voltage through a momentary switch to pin 1, pin 2 would complete a circuit with pin 6. Then when i apply voltage to pin 1 second time, the pin 2 to pin 6 circuit would open and pin 2 would complete a circuit to pin 7, repeating to pin 8, then 9, through, say, 6 connections?

If I understand correctly what you wish to do (Something like a light chaser, but under your control.), then a 4017 should handle it.

Have a look here for an example:
**broken link removed**

As for the higher current requirement, you will have to switch something else with the 4017, such as bassnut's suggestions.

HTH.

A 4017 is a sequencer that simply turns on an output as it sequences.
It doesn't connect the selected output to a pin, it connects a selected output to its positive supply voltage. Its output current is a few mA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back