Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Very simple circuit setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

michealwillard

Okay, I haven't done much circuits since high school and I need to wore this new one up. What I have is a 9v power source, two 3v LEDs, one 2.1v LED, one small motor (not sure of the power required but it came from a cd player), and a push on/off switch. I do have an assortment of resistors to, but can't recall how to read the colors (soo one would have to explain that to me. So the circuit just needs to turn all four objects on with the switch and have the 2 3v LEDS glow as bright as possible. I already burned out one of my pricey green Bezeled housing LEDs, so I'm a little bent.

also a note the direction of current + to - ... its been a long while ...

any help would be great, thanks

from positive to negative I have: motor, resistor for a 3v 20mA LED, Two yellow 3v 20mA LEDs, resistor for 2.1v 20mA LED, green 2.1v 20mA LED, switch. The resisitors are the ones given to me by the calculator. But I don't have enough power for the motor and the yellow LEDs are very dim. the green LED is the right brightness though.

So if anyone has any pointers, newbie needs help.

btw its for the wiring on a Star Wars Lightsaber prop

michealwillard said:
from positive to negative I have: motor, resistor for a 3v 20mA LED, Two yellow 3v 20mA LEDs, resistor for 2.1v 20mA LED, green 2.1v 20mA LED, switch. The resisitors are the ones given to me by the calculator. But I don't have enough power for the motor and the yellow LEDs are very dim. the green LED is the right brightness though.

So if anyone has any pointers, newbie needs help.

btw its for the wiring on a Star Wars Lightsaber prop

You don't put them all in series, that's why it doesn't work!. You need to put them in parallel.

Put the motor directly across the supply, fit each resistor/LED combination across the motor - this way each item (motor or resistor/LED) gets 9V. Calculate the resistors accordingly.

simple circuit

Never mind....sorted it out:

SERIES CIRCUIT
(Rule A) Components in a series circuit share the same curren(Amperage)t I Total = I 1 = I 2 = . . . I n
(Rule B) Total resistance(Ohmage) in a series circuit is equal to the sum of the individual resistances : R Total = R 1 + R 2 + . . R n
(Rule C )Total tension (Voltage) in a series circuit is equal to the sum of the individual voltage drops : E Total = E 1 + E 2 + . . E n

PARALLEL CIRCUIT
(Rule A) Components in a parallel circuit share the same tension ( Voltage): E Total = E 1 = E 2 = . . E n
(Rule B) Total resistance(Ohmage) in a parallel circuit is less than any of the individual resistances: RTotal = 1 / (1/R1 + 1/R2 + . .1/Rn)
(Rule C ) Total current (Amperage) in a parallel circuit is equal to the sum of the individual branch currents: I Total = I 1 + I 2 + . .I n.

thanks for all the help ... its kinda like riding a bicycle ... except you need to have refresher before you can recall it all ... so not really like riding a bicycle at all. But anyways, I think I have the circuit totally laid out, didn't have the exact resistor I needed for the two yellow LEDs in series, so I used a slightly larger than needed. Had to pull them off a board from a broken DVD player ... so options were limited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back