Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Very particular and old switches

Status
Not open for further replies.
They look pretty much custom...at least the fork on the top of the toggle arm. Probably a machined ball. There are toggle switches that have a similar ball on the end of the toggle arm. If you can find one with the right arm length and ball diameter, you could "machine" the ball into a fork with a Dremel. Another possibility is find an appropriate toggle switch, disassemble it, silver solder a "U" shaped fork on the arm, and reassemble. How much are you willing to spend?

Ken

They are pretty isn't it? I try to find the same film projector but I can't. The best should buy to projectors and I can get 6 switches.

There are toggle switches that have a similar ball on the end of the toggle arm.
Does it have a particular name? Toggle switch with ...?

it should be possible to use a couple of lever microswitches
They don't look the same.

They are pretty isn't it? I try to find the same film projector but I can't. The best should buy to projectors and I can get 6 switches.

Does it have a particular name? Toggle switch with ...?

"Ball handle toggle switch"

eric's idea was to modify the switch bank with "microswitches" that are pushed down by the pins.

Are the switches SPST? How many positions does the rotary shaft have? Do you want to modify it, so it works...or restore it to original?

Ken

Do you need something exactly the same or only functionally the same? Google "cam switch" for a variety of rotary cam switches.
Dale

Are the switches SPST? How many positions does the rotary shaft have? Do you want to modify it, so it works...or restore it to original?
They looks SPST to me but they seems not working. This morning they felt down on water, maybe it killed them!

I would have like keeping them like they are because I find them gorgeous and just modify the rotating bar to have endless turn (they just do 60 degre turn) and add more pins to activate the switches, kind of a rustic music box.

Google "cam switch" for a variety of rotary cam switches.
Dale
Thanks for the cam switch, I didn't know that and it can be very useful if I keep the music box idea in mind.

Last edited:
Hi,

I think those are a standard type that have been filed or machined
into that shape in order to be operated by that rotary bar.
Replacing them should not be a problem.

Fashioning the bobble into the shape required may need a little
care and aptitude.

Best of luck with it, John :)

I would have like keeping them like they are because I find them gorgeous and just modify the rotating bar to have endless turn (they just do 60 degre turn) and add more pins to activate the switches, kind of a rustic music box.

The rotary bar will not do a full turn,
it has to go forward and backward.
Those switches will not re-set themselves.

Could you post more pictures of this interesting item ?

John :)

you could use opt-interruptors instead, these last long and are non-contact.

But you may need to switch the load through a relay, also making the mechanical fixtures could be a problem..

thanks
aa

you could use opt-interruptors instead
Your opto-interrupter give me an "new" idea but is there a difference between opto-interrupter, optical switch and opto-coupler? I've found all those terms on the net...

Your opto-interrupter give me an "new" idea but is there a difference between opto-interrupter, optical switch and opto-coupler? I've found all those terms on the net...

Quote:
it should be possible to use a couple of lever microswitches

So whats the difference in looks, between a microswitch and a opto-coupler solution..:confused::)

Opto-interruptors and optical switches should mean the same, except that opto-interruptor is a basic component, while a optical switch may consist of the opto-interruptor with additional components required to control a relay.

I generally use a MOC 7811 from motorola, it is a slotted type opto-interruptor, I think this should work well for your application.

This link will give you the datasheet for the device **broken link removed**

There may be better ones than this, but I have not tried them..

thanks
a

So whats the difference in looks, between a microswitch and a opto-coupler solution.
Oh... I'm sorry... didn't want to hurt you...
If you read carefully I said "it gives me A NEW IDEA" I meant for another project not for that one ... :)

Cheers,

I generally use a MOC 7811 from motorola, it is a slotted type opto-interruptor,
Is there any differences between the MOC 7811 and a simple LED and LDR together? Is the MOC 7811 more precise, faster, ...?

Oh... I'm sorry... didn't want to hurt you...
If you read carefully I said "it gives me A NEW IDEA" I meant for another project not for that one ... :)

Cheers,

No problem, its because I thought you wanted to keep the switching as per the original, more authentic.:)

Whats at the end of the long round shaft.?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back