Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Very low turn-on voltage MOSFET

Status
Not open for further replies.
The gate channel must be very thin.

With a maximum gate voltage of just 8V it's probably really susceptible to ESD.

I'll have to be careful with it then. I've got a battery-powered system I need a FET for that might need to operate down to 2.5 volts...

it's interesting the datasheet doesn't mention any ESD ratings for the switch.

@speakerguy, you might want to look into a mosfet driver to ensure efficient switching at very low voltages. Linear and others have simple SO8 drivers which implement a charge-pump to provide sufficient gate drive in low voltage circuits.

justDIY said:
it's interesting the datasheet doesn't mention any ESD ratings for the switch.

@speakerguy, you might want to look into a mosfet driver to ensure efficient switching at very low voltages. Linear and others have simple SO8 drivers which implement a charge-pump to provide sufficient gate drive in low voltage circuits.

The FET has a built in gate protection diodes. They don't mention ESD ratings because it is generally not a problem for these devices. Overall, good ESD practices have made ESD problems for *ANY* MOS device a thing of the past. But of course, there are exceptions . . . .

The thing I have to make has to be too small to integrate an additional IC. It's going to be tight to put an SOIC8 FET on there instead of the SOT23 I had in the original design. This one is way better though. The entire thing has to be 1.25" x 1.25" and that includes the lithium polymer battery on a single sided board :(

speakerguy79 said:
The thing I have to make has to be too small to integrate an additional IC. It's going to be tight to put an SOIC8 FET on there instead of the SOT23 I had in the original design. This one is way better though. The entire thing has to be 1.25" x 1.25" and that includes the lithium polymer battery on a single sided board :(

But you havnt mentioned any of your requirements for the FET. I'm sure there is some reason you couldnt use the SOT23 version you had in mind.

Vishay/Siliconix have recently come out with some interesting new small power packages that can get you down to SOT23 kind of dimensions while supporting much lower RDS(ON) and of course, you can get low logic level versions. Check them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back