Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Very loud sound required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarr

Hi all,

Part of my new project requires an alarm sounder, I am very tight on space ideally I want to use this case
https://www.okw.co.uk/products/okw/smart/zoom/zA9064107.jpg

But I want it as load as possible and Ideally self contained, I am using a 12v 38mah battery I will using a regulator to run a RF RX module and probably a MCU (Attiny13v).

I have played with a few piezo buzzers but they don't appear to be very loud, suspect this is down to driving them from the AtTiny13v directly at 5vPP and probably not running then at optimum frequency.

Thx

Ain't possible. A 38mAH battery is unlikely to have much ability to deliver more than a few mA without serious voltage drop.

The really common alarm transducer is a piezo disk, used in all the personal alarms. The driver runs off a standard 9V battery (like an amp-hr or so) and it maxes out the curent capacity of that battery to do it.

Hi

Hi Oznog,

Whilst I was waiting for replies I tested a few buzzers I had hanging around, I placed this buzzer **broken link removed**

Across my little 12v battery and it was LOUD!!

Now I didn't try it for long but this is the sort loudness I'd love to have.

Thx

Yeah, when it comes to loud, low-power alarms, I'm loco for piezo. I'm powering a **broken link removed** alarm piezo with a 20mAh Alkalyne with a negligable voltage drop. With such a small battery, it does max out the current capability, so I have to trigger it in short bursts and place a large capacitor across the supply terminals.

The piezo buzzers have the piezo in a tuned acoustical cavity and the piezo's resonance is part of its feedback so it operates at its loudest.
I tried a piezo speaker I got from a phone and its resonance peak is so narrow that it was difficult to adjust the frequency of my oscillator to its peak:

Attachments

• piezo_speaker-murata.png
    piezo_speaker-murata.png
    24.2 KB · Views: 515
One way to get Greater Volume is build a DC Voltage Boost, charging a Capacitor to power the Pizo driver at a higher voltage.

There are some Very Efficient, Low Power DC to DC Converters available.

The Actual current required for Pizos is Quite low and if your output is Short Bursts of sound, It can get Very Loud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back