Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

very desperate ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

B.Anil kumar

Hi, I am Anil from India and i am working on a flapping wing insect.I am not good at electronics and i need help on building a circuit.I need a D.C circuit operating at 12 volt max, that has an inductor that can create an oscillating magnetic field to drive a square 1'' magnet at 45 to 50 Hz frequency.this magnet will be fused into Polypropelene joints and will form the muscle for my artificial insect.I got evry thing worked out including composites for the wings.i tried to use a motor from a CD drive but its too fast and is very heavy.I need the magnet to have enough good field strength .Any one who helps me out will be doing a great service to Ornithopter type flight.my design is very different then others and is completely based on natural design of the Dragon fly.IT CAN HOVER.no one untill now has designed one wich can hover in true insect fashion.

I'm not a biologist but as far as I understand the motion of the wing surface for insect flight is out and down not just up+down.If you have solved this then one approach could be to use a CMOS SMT ( surface mount technology ) timer circuit driving an inductor loop that either attracts or repels the magnet and when not energized allows the wing to return to a neutral position. Neutral would necessarily at full extend or full contraction of the wing structure.

You can use Neodymium or Samarium-Cobalt magnets.
S08 pkg timer : NE555D
examples ( will give You an ides as to function and constraints) : **broken link removed**

Power source is a big factor in the design. Is the thing tethered? If free flight I would recommend the carapace to be constructed with a thin film amorphous solar cell. ( similar to the ones found on scientific calculators.

There's also another way to go , that being "muscle wires". It is an alloy wire that when current is applied the wire heats and contracts, something worth looking into.

Also You may want to check the robotics forum on this board for ideas.
Any more info would be helpful, force and weight calculations for one.

Thank you .

I got the wings worked so that the outer tip follows a rough 8 figure path.
Thank you for the advice.Mr.TillEulenspiegel.

Have you thought about using muscle wire? I dunno if it uses too much current though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back