Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Vertical axis solar tracker help please urgent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fan9

Hi, i need urgent help and reply.

I have a NE 555 timer , L297, L298 and stepper motor

i wan to combine them together to build a solar tracker just 1 axis (Vertical up and down direction.)

Problem is i dont know how to combine them together.
I trying look at the data sheet on the web and combine l297 and l298 (without the diodes) and clock to ne555 timer (monostable) but the stepper motor cannot move! checked my NE 555 with LED is working. If got sch to show mi connection will be good or advice please!

If it is truely a "vertical axis tracker", you must live at the equator ;)

I trying look at the data sheet on the web and combine l297 and l298 (without the diodes)
If you didn't use the diodes you may have fried one or both ICs. The diodes are essential to suppress back-emf spikes.

Hi, i need urgent help and reply.
Now may I ask why this is "urgent"?

You must hook up the L297 and L298 as shown in the data sheets.

Do you have a drawing of what you have so far?

I going FYP and my lecturer forsaken us and due date in some days! I follow the datasheet for bread boarding but it doesn't work

So this is for school and you dont know what to.:confused:
You said you tryed it without the diodes.
As said befor you need the diodes and may have damaged the driver chip.
Do you have another L298?

Last edited:
Yea, the lecturer dump mi the datasheet and 2 of the l298 and ask mi connect the circuits without diodes! He said that I don't need control the speed of the motor so don't need to connect diodes 2A!

Yea, the lecturer dump mi the datasheet and 2 of the l298 and ask mi connect the circuits without diodes! He said that I don't need control the speed of the motor so don't need to connect diodes 2A!
Even without speed control you are still turning the coils of the stepper on and off just to get it to move.
You need the diodes.

Ok I will try it! 36v apply at 4, really need so much voltage? And can I connect the clock with a 555 timer? If can which mode is better?

36v apply at 4, really need so much voltage?
It depends on the rating of your stepper motor. Try with a much lower voltage to start with, or you may fry the motor too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back