Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Veroboard traffic lights design help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jussayinbr0

So basically, for my course in university, we had to make a project from a set schematic given to us. we have to transfer that design to a veroboard and make sure it works, but..

the design i made seemed pretty solid but when i applied it to the veroboard, all of my led's light up at a constant, which it, shouldn't.. it should be on a traffic light sequence, so i want to post schematic, along with my veroboard design to see if anyone has any opinions or help they can offer?

This is the schematic..
traffic lights.png

this is my veroboard design..
Screen Shot 2013-08-10 at 04.44.55.png
(note: the red dots represent breaks between the copper tracks.)
(note 2: R3, R4, R5 are connected on the wire with the led's, so that's why they're missing from the verboard design)

Think my best guess is my solder work, it might be connecting to something that it should.

any help and useful info will be appreciated!

Many Thanks!:D

Pin 7 of the 555 chip seems to be missing a link to R1, R2 on veroboard.

Presumably there are many red dots not shown on your diagram?

Aren't those vertical wires shorting all your diodes together? :eek:

Why use so many wires? That circuit could be built with a fraction of the jumper wires you used.

(edit) Yep, i checked your schematic, the diode matrixing should be done BETWEEN the IC and the diodes. Your board is all wrong.

R6, R7, R8 and R9 in the schematic are not doing anything and can be replaced by tracks or wires.

I built MANY circuits on Veroboard. The resistors, diodes and capacitors joined the circuit together and only a few jumper wires were used.

You have all the diodes shorted since the tracks are not cut under them. Also you have the left side pins of the ICs shorted to the right side pins since the tracks are not cut under them.

i forgot to mention that the chips have breaks beneath them to prevent short circuiting along with the diode's, and what do you mean by "replaced by tracks or wires?"

many thanks

that's strange, i did put a jumper there but i must of deleted it by acident, i forgot to mention that theres breaks under the chips and the diode's, sorry im very new at this :confused:

that's strange, i did put a jumper there but i must of deleted it by acident, i forgot to mention that theres breaks under the chips and the diode's, sorry im very new at this :confused:

hi j,
The 10K's R6, R7, R8 and R9 serve no purpose and each one could be replaced by a piece of wire.

or if you decide to redo your PCB, you could use the copper track where convenient.
E

The diodes should be up and down between tracks, not sideways. Then many of your track cuts and many jumper wires would not be needed.

I always cut a track at a hole using a "Veroboard track cutter tool" or a drill bit.

You have two jumper wires connected to R1 and R2 when the resistors can connect the circuit with no jumper wires.

Mr RB is right about the vertical wires shorting all outputs together.

Your board layout does not match the schematic. Schematic shows 12 diodes, but you have only 10 on the board - and not wired correctly

Mr RB is right about the vertical wires shorting all outputs together.

Your board layout does not match the schematic. Schematic shows 12 diodes, but you have only 10 on the board - and not wired correctly

right, think i may need to redesign this haha, i started a fresh circuit

That's why YOU need to be practising it! :D

Historically it was normal to use graph paper to workout veroboard designs, but now there are various computer programmes you can use, or simply print out a blank veroboard layout and use that (as we used to with graph paper).

That's why YOU need to be practising it! :D

Historically it was normal to use graph paper to workout veroboard designs, but now there are various computer programmes you can use, or simply print out a blank veroboard layout and use that (as we used to with graph paper).

yeah i know, but the deadline is on the 15th :( otherwise im stuck and fail it

Which Uni are you at? - and sorry to be cruel, but if you can't cope you SHOULD be failing it.

This is really pretty basic stuff, more mid-secondary school than Uni.

A friend of my daughter's was doing Electronics at Uni, and dropped out just a few weeks short of his final exams - he just couldn't cope with the workload.

right, i almost gave up on life for the moment, but i just bit the bullet and went for changing the diodes around, i havnt changed everything so it's saved space yet but i will get onto that if it looks good from your point of view.

also i added the missing jumpers on the 555 timer for pin 7, and i do have breaks under the ic's, also r7 r8 r9 are still there but still with the led wire

hope im making progress? :)

Screen Shot 2013-08-10 at 19.31.12.png

the schematic is still on the op

Which Uni are you at? - and sorry to be cruel, but if you can't cope you SHOULD be failing it.

This is really pretty basic stuff, more mid-secondary school than Uni.

A friend of my daughter's was doing Electronics at Uni, and dropped out just a few weeks short of his final exams - he just couldn't cope with the workload.

i would say but you would probably know my lecturer, and i don't want to be dobbed in ;) but i have made improvements on the design on my previous post

i would say but you would probably know my lecturer, and i don't want to be dobbed in ;) but i have made improvements on the design on my previous post

That's certainly looking better, and I don't know any lecturers there - although I did once attend a public lecture/demonstration on holography there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back