Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Verizon and the Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sceadwian

Banned
Anyone take a close look at the Android platform Google spawned? Verizon just started offering a 500mhz device on their network and are planning on 1ghz not too far away.

My brother in law works at Verizon and I'd classify him as an 'early technology adopter' so he's had one since day one, and I got to play around with it a bit today. Completely insane. The two coolest apps I got to play with for a couple minutes were a barcode reader which will use the on board camera to decode any viewable barcode and do a websearch for it. It pulled up a web page for Orbitz gum and a book on Bearded Dragons (a common reptile pet) right off the bat. Also there's a skymap app that uses GPS and the internal orientation sensors to allow you to aim the camera in any direction and see what constellations/objects are in the area. Of course it's completly overcast tonight so couldn't toy with that too much but it's fantastic.

They're programmed in Java, it's all opesource (some apps more or less so) has an appstore like the iphone, the browser is good (almost logged on here) And just all in all it's looking like a very well connected device with a lot of potential especially in the hands of intelligent users.

Anyone's thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back