Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Velleman Kits

Status
Not open for further replies.

moutouloss

I want your opinion for the Velleman Kits. I mean if him you have worked... and generally if they deserve they are characterized "quality kit".

I think they're good kits.

The PCB is well made, the explanations are clear, never any problem with wrong/faulty components.

I want made this...

Attachments

• k4040_f1.jpg
    k4040_f1.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 1,016
  • m4040.jpg
    m4040.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 1,061

Those are vaccum tube's
most likely a tube amp

anyway the surplus store I work at sell's vaccum tube's for 1 dollar

good price.

Exo said:
Go for it moutouloss.
It's quite an expensive kit but it sounds great !

It's a VERY! expensive kit, but if you want to spend loads of money for a valve amplifier?, then it's probably as good as any other?.

Personally I'm not impressed by valve amps, and even less by the prices they charge these days!.

It is only 60W at full output but draws 300VA all the time!
I wouldn't want to be near it in summer. Just think about the heat from 5 of them for surround-sound.

Maybe its tubes are lighted just for show and it actually has a little chip amp inside. :lol:

Well, that's just the way valves are...
You don't buy a kit like that for efficiency, but for its looks and a 'peek into the old days'...

And say what you want, i find that valves sound better then any tranny amp. :p

Yeah, I made a tube amp years and years ago. I didn't like the sound because its output transformer provided poor damping for the speakers at low frequencies and I couldn't keep the tubes balanced as they aged. :(

I could sell you some vaccum tube's and you can find plans that you like and I can find those vaccum tube's you want.

Exo said:
And say what you want, i find that valves sound better then any tranny amp. :p

It's a controversial issue - personally I would only recommend valve amps for lead guitar use, where you are looking for the 'soft' distortion an overdriven valve amp provides. For anything else?, I would use transistors (either bipolar or FET) everytime.

Unfortunately, valves have become 'cool' in the music scene, with manufacturers releasing highly priced preamps with a valve stuck on the outside - a number of these don't even have the valve connected (apart from a heater supply, so it lights up!).

yeah, i know...

Don't really have that price problem cause i have tons of EL34's lying around and the driver tube's (thought EL12 but aint sure).

So i already made 3 tube amps myself for virtuallyt nothing, even got the required transformers ripped out of old things :)

Exo said:
yeah, i know...

Don't really have that price problem cause i have tons of EL34's lying around and the driver tube's (thought EL12 but aint sure).

So i already made 3 tube amps myself for virtuallyt nothing, even got the required transformers ripped out of old things :)

The usual drivers are the ECC81/82/83 series (with the lower noise 83 usually reserved for preamps) - I don't think there is any such thing as a EL12 :lol:

As you say, it's the price of transformers which makes them expensive, but even the valves are now stupid prices! - and you can't even find decent quality ones.

If you've got plenty of EL34's you ought to try selling some on Ebay, there are idiots who wil pay serious money for them!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back