Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Vehicle Speed Signal Divider - Design Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdolence

I am want to build a vehicle speed signal divider for the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) on my Honda ST1300 motorcycle. The divided output will be used as a reference signal for an electronic cruise control. There is a product available to do this task, but I want to do it for myself.

Based on work that others have done using the commercially available device, it seems that signal frequency is too high for the cruise control unit and it must be divided by 4. I want to use a PIC16F886 to accomplish the task since I will be using it for other functions (features), as well. My initial thoughts are to are to use the VSS signal as an interrupt and to output a signal or ourput to a transistor to switch 12V every N number of interrupts based on jumper settings.

I am not an expert in electronics, but I have done some independent learning. I have a basic understanding. I purchased a PICKIT3, demo boards, and I have built the other functions based on a PIC1F88.

I was hoping someone could give me some feed-back on my design or new ideas on how to build this frequency divider.

You should try posting this in the Microcontroller section of the forum. You're sure to get many more posts there.

If you are not wedded to the PIC idea, a dual CMOS flip-flop (4013 or 4027) as a two-bit counter would do the job simply.

If want to use the PIC, create an ISR that counts up 0,1,2,3. Upon reaching 3, set a port pin high, and reset the count back to zero. On the next count (0>1), set the port pin back low.

Last edited:
Maybe I should have posted in MCU but I thought this might be more of a general question.

I am sort of set on the PIC as I am also using it for something else with the VSS signal. The PIC should have the capacity/programabiltiy to do this job, too. The ISR with the count is exactly what I had in mind. The count would be based on jumpers instead of a hard divide by 4.

Thanks for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back