Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Vehicle Anti-Theft Device

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weidler

Hello,

Recently I've had a few issues with the private party I am leasing my truck from. He want's to repossess my truck and keep the money I have paid for it so far to screw me on the deal from what I have heard.

I want to be able to make a module that I could break the connection to the starter relay with, however be able to insert a second key or enter a passcode on a panel in order to allow a solid connection again but I do not know how to go about doing this or where I could find parts. Any help would be very appreciated, thanks, Will

Generally when vehicles are repossessed, a tow truck turns up, either lifts it onto a flatbed or lifts the driven wheels off the road and off goes your vehicle.

Far easier than arguing with the owner, takes literally two minutes and I've seen many cars removed in this fashion (both legitimately and theft).

Even disconnecting the starter will not stop a lot of people as you only have to put the ignition on, pop a screwdriver on the starter feed to solenoid terminal and job done. This is assuming it's an automatic and you're not able to bump start it.

Better off killing the power to the engine ECU / Fuel pump / Both - possibly replace the fuse for these with a blown fuse when the vehicle is not in use ?

You're better off with a decent CCTV and/or making sure you legally own the vehicle so if he takes it, you can prosecute for theft. Another option is to just get the immobiliser reprogrammed at a dealer with a new key and the old keys wiped - no valid key means you can't drive off in it.

Last edited:
Do you have the bill of sale?
I know a fool that left the bill of sale in the truck. When the truck was repossessed there was to proof that any money changed hands.

I am not an attorney nor do I play one on TV so I won't get into the legalities.

Most systems that do what you are looking to do disable the ignition system rather than the starter. On today's cars and trucks there are plenty of easier things to disable like ignition or fuel than the starter. Any basic inexpensive anti theft device should do what you are looking to do. This is one of those things likely easier to buy than try to build. Any auto / truck alarm installer place should be able to fix you up. I would just look for a simple turn key solution off the shelf rather than buy parts and try to build a solutiion.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back