Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Vehicle air bag

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpj111

Most modern cars fitted with air bag. It pop up when the sensor detect impact. If a crash bar (bull bar or nudge bar) fitted, sensitivity of the sensor affectd or reduce its sensitivity.
Will the air bag inactive completely.
Any idea how sensor works.

Your idea would be highly appreciated.

mpj111 said:
Most modern cars fitted with air bag. It pop up when the sensor detect impact. If a crash bar (bull bar or nudge bar) fitted, sensitivity of the sensor affectd or reduce its sensitivity.
Will the air bag inactive completely.
Any idea how sensor works.

Your idea would be highly appreciated.
an accelerometer ??

That's a good question. You might also try automotive type forums, particularly those that deal with modifications such as you've mentioned - possibly off-road type forum. If faced with that question I'd be calling my local dealer and would speak with the service department.

In general I'd think that mods such as you describe would not make it impossible for the air bag to deploy but the biggest concern that I'd have is creating a situation where it is too sensitive and might trigger too easily. Deployment of the air bag carries some risk of injury - the thinking being that it provides more protection, overall, in a significant collision.

I'm almost positive that it uses an accelerometer. The crash has to occur at a certain speed and within 30 degrees from the centerline of the vehicle.

Taken from howstuffworks.com: The sensor is the device that tells the bag to inflate. Inflation happens when there is a collision force equal to running into a brick wall at 10 to 15 miles per hour (16 to 24 km per hour). A mechanical switch is flipped when there is a mass shift that closes an electrical contact, telling the sensors that a crash has occurred. The sensors receive information from an accelerometer built into a microchip.

so you should be fine

what are you trying to do with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back