Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Vcr

Status
Not open for further replies.

bristol188

Hi Folks Just a small question. Is it possible to set up a dedicated VCR to be set on rec. permanent but only come on (start rec.) when power is switched on (off with timer) I want to run it for security on a boat.
Also is it poss. to modify it to run on 12v supply. I have not got a VCR yet.
Thanks

Get an inverter. There are low wattage units available at many local stores (auto parts, hardware, feed, Walmart...). Record when you power up, not too likely to be a simple thing. When you turn off the power, usually loose clock and programming (never seen one with a battery backup, always wondered...). Have to wait until the VCR does its power up stuff, then do the record button. Maybe a shift register.

bristol188 said:
Hi Folks Just a small question. Is it possible to set up a dedicated VCR to be set on rec. permanent but only come on (start rec.) when power is switched on (off with timer) I want to run it for security on a boat.
Also is it poss. to modify it to run on 12v supply. I have not got a VCR yet.
Thanks

The most practical way to do this is to attach a mechanical relay in place of the "RECORD" button of the VCR and attach the relay coil to a microcontroller like a PIC or AVR. Provide power to the PIC/AVR from the same source that powers the VCR. When it powers up, wait a few seconds for the recorder to initialize then close the relay contact momentarily for the RECORD button.

This requires the least knowledge of the VCR and little invasive surgery.

Yea thanks, I think I could try something like that in an experimental way. I feel that older types of VCRs would most suitable, but they are getting harder to come by. It is not an obtion to go to DVD rec. is it?

bristol188 said:
Yea thanks, I think I could try something like that in an experimental way. I feel that older types of VCRs would most suitable, but they are getting harder to come by. It is not an obtion to go to DVD rec. is it?

hi rog,
I did my VCR/Security system control the following way.
If you you get a VCR, get one with a remote control, also buy a 'one for all' second remote.

I opened up this cheap remote control and linked across the remotes buttons of interest, with opto-isolators, driven from my PC parallel port.
I have downloaded from microsoft lots of speech recognition programs,
I can control my Sky TV box with speech control,,,,[or any other device that uses a remote control] its just a fun thing!.

Using an old laptop PC, you can have all the control you require for switching a VCR or DVD and
doing the real time/ intruder detection part of the system.

Many VCR's dont work well in humid/boat environments.

As Harvey says get a 250/350W 12V to mains Invertor.

The obvious point about the installation, you have to hide it somewhere.

EDIT:
If your security budget will run to it, you could consider a low cost laptop PC.
Buy a USB2 video adaptor and plug your security camera into the adaptor.
Save the images to the HD, there's lots of programs to do that.

The advantage of a laptop PC is that it has many secondary uses while you are out sailing on the briny.
Charts, tidal info and DVD entertainment....

Last edited:
Yes thanks. I have a inverter no props. Also a laptop, but these items are brought home when the boat is left on the mooring. Otherwise they could get stolen. So it has to be lower cost items ie. s/h stuff. The security gear (4 IR cams, wireless receiver & video controller) is only 1/4 the cost of the laptop. The would be thieves would be recorded on the VCR (hidden) Would a timer be ok to delay the rec. button relay?
Thanks
I edited that to say yes a cheap older type laptop would be a good option, but I do not how to get a contagious recording.
Edited out

Last edited:
bristol188 said:
Yes thanks. I have a inverter no props. Also a laptop, but these items are brought home when the boat is left on the mooring. Otherwise they could get stolen. So it has to be lower cost items ie. s/h stuff. The security gear (4 IR cams, wireless receiver & video controller) is only 1/4 the cost of the laptop. The would be thieves would be recorded on the VCR (hidden) Would a timer be ok to delay the rec. button relay?
Thanks
I edited that to say yes a cheap older type laptop would be a good option, but I do not how to get a contajuse* recording.
*sorry can't spell that desises* neither can the spell checker.
*ditto
hi,
If you look on 'eBay' you can buy s/h laptops fairly cheap, if you're not PCwise, get a pal to advise.
If you did buy a USB video adaptor it should come with software to enable continous recording and playback.

The idea would be that the laptop could be used as part of the intruder detection system.
How do you plan to trigger the system when an intruder gets on the boat?? Is it going to be a 'silent' alarm system that just records
or will it have bells and whistles?

I think a problem with a laptop is it will need time to boot, I would like to get a recording fairly quickly after the alarm is triggered. The object is to get a face recognition if possible. The alarm is activated by various switches (micro, reed, & HAL. It is not that I am plagued with stickey fingers, more a single human, if that's an appropriate title.
Thanks

The laptop could be running all of the time unless you have an issue with power consumption. Then it's just a matter of telling it when you want a recording.

Be sure to hide it well.

bristol188 said:
I think a problem with a laptop is it will need time to boot, I would like to get a recording fairly quickly after the alarm is triggered. The object is to get a face recognition if possible. The alarm is activated by various switches (micro, reed, & HAL. It is not that I am plagued with stickey fingers, more a single human, if that's an appropriate title.
Thanks

hi,
By using the laptop's power setting options, drive off after x sec and sleep mode etc.
It would be possible to keep the laptop powered all the time.

There is security software that will trigger an image capture [from your cam] when movement is detected also video capture.

mneary said:
The laptop could be running all of the time unless you have an issue with power consumption. Then it's just a matter of telling it when you want a recording.

Be sure to hide it well.
Yes, there is a power problem. Solar cells not withstanding the system if left on will just drain the battery's eventually. So the system has to be off or on low drain standby. And I feel I can hide the recorder well. It is a house boat moored, I do not get marine corosion problems.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back