Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

VCR tape to DVD transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dialtone

I recently broke down and bought a DVD recorder that also has a VCR. The thought was to transfer my VCR movie library to DVD's, since VCR tapes are going the way of the dinosaurs. Seems there is some built in protection mechanism against copying some tapes. Home camcorder tapes are no problem and copy over just fine, but not the commercial content movies we have purchased over the years.

I know the industry is totally paranoid over the piracy issue, but I did not rent these tapes, I purchased them, and consider them my property.

Anyone want to enlighten me as to a legal way to port my property onto another medium?

Dialtone

Dialtone said:
I recently broke down and bought a DVD recorder that also has a VCR. The thought was to transfer my VCR movie library to DVD's, since VCR tapes are going the way of the dinosaurs. Seems there is some built in protection mechanism against copying some tapes. Home camcorder tapes are no problem and copy over just fine, but not the commercial content movies we have purchased over the years.

That's what copy protection is for!.

I know the industry is totally paranoid over the piracy issue, but I did not rent these tapes, I purchased them, and consider them my property.

You consider wrong! - the physical tape is your property, the content isn't!.

Anyone want to enlighten me as to a legal way to port my property onto another medium?

There's no real 'legal' way!, except to buy another copy protected copy on DVD - or you could try a MacroVision removal box?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back