Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

variac transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jin29_neci

hi guys, actually pls. help me how to use a variac transformer.... my fellow friends told me that when I will service a tv & using variac transformer I must first unsoldered the regulator ic or take it out of the circuit & then use the variac transformer.

My questions is there another method in using this variac trnaformer? thanks, pls. post thanks :cry:

jin29_neci said:
hi guys, actually pls. help me how to use a variac transformer.... my fellow friends told me that when I will service a tv & using variac transformer I must first unsoldered the regulator ic or take it out of the circuit & then use the variac transformer.

My questions is there another method in using this variac trnaformer? thanks, pls. post thanks :cry:

It's rare to use a varactor on TV repairs these days, I can't remember the last time I used one. Generally they were used to bring the mains up slowly, so you could take measurements before things went BANG!.

Modern sets use switch-mode supplies with multiple outputs, so a variac isn't really any help.

On the other hand, an isolation transformer used to power the set under test is a good idea since most new equipment these days eschew a power transformer for a lighter, cheaper and more-efficient switcher with no mains isolation.

Dean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back