Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Variable resistors

Status
Not open for further replies.

pyg

Hi everyone,

I'm building the noise cancelling headphones here: **broken link removed**

Problem is, the variable listed 100kohm 1/4W linear taper, single turn is, according to digikey, obsolete. Is there a replacement I could use for this?

Thanks!

edit: also, could someone let me know what side adjustment, top adjustment, etc is? And what dual-gang means? This is all new to me; thanks!

Last edited:
I'm not sure....it's just what was mentioned in the tutorial. What's the difference between an audio and linear taper?

edit: oh, and thanks so much for your help so far, that dealer really has everything

and again: also, what's a mylar capacitor and how could I search it (nothing comes up on that site)? Is it also 25V in this case?

Thanks very much in advance

Last edited:
R14 and R23 are panel mount dual pots, side or top adjust does not apply in this case. FYI, side or top adjust applies to trim pots which are mounted on the PC board.
Mouser part number for a linear taper, 100K, panel mount pot is: 313-1250f-100K. For audio taper: 313-1240f-100K
The response of the ear to sound is logrithmic, so audio taper pots are log taper .

Last edited:
THank you!

does the power rating matter for this potentiometer? The part you gave me is 0.08W while it's listed as .25W in the parts list.

Also, how would I find a Mylar capacitor and would the power rating matter for that as well?

In the article it mentions that a linear taper is used as fixed resistor is used in parallel to effectively alter the response. It works as a log adjustment with the fixed resistor in parallel.

The wattage shouldn't matter, as it's 100k and the maximum voltage through it without clipping at the next stage is under 1v, you won't get even close to 0.08W.

Mylar caps are quite common. Usually the voltage rating is around 63v or more, anything over 25 or so will be fine.

thank you very much for your help dr. em! I think I'm set to go

Thank you to all who helped:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back