Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

variable resistor... what potentiometer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kardzzz

Hi Guys,
I need a variable resistor between the range 10k-100k. What potentiometer value do I look for?
in terms of wiring, Do I connect the middle pin and one other together hence making it a 2 pin device?
Thx

Hi Guys,
I need a variable resistor between the range 10k-100k. What potentiometer value do I look for?
in terms of wiring, Do I connect the middle pin and one other together hence making it a 2 pin device?
Thx

In what circuit is the pot going to be used.?

I will be using the variable resistor with a 555 timer. I want to be able to change the frequency between 2 ranges and know that i require 10k to 100k
thx

Which ever value you choose, make sure your pot has a linear taper, not an audio taper!
Also, while a higher resistance value will give you greater range, a smaller value will allow for finer adjustment, so you need to decide which is more important to your particular project.

If a value between 10 and 100K is needed use a combination of a fixed 10K resistor and a pot of 100K.

Using just a 100K pot you'll be able to crank it down to a value of zero Ω, thus making the timer circuit inop.

Boncuk

If a value between 10 and 100K is needed use a combination of a fixed 10K resistor and a pot of 100K.

Using just a 100K pot you'll be able to crank it down to a value of zero Ω, thus making the timer circuit inop.

Boncuk

Also you might consider using a 10 turn trim pot rather then a single turn standard pot, it makes adjustments much easier if it's a set and forget application.

Lefty

Also you might consider using a 10 turn trim pot rather then a single turn standard pot, it makes adjustments much easier if it's a set and forget application.

Lefty

... and last not least less sensitive to bumps which might happen during usage of a circuit. A 10 to 25 turn trim pot is driven by a worm gear, and changing the pot adjustment inadvertantly can only happen if the bumps are in resonance with the worm shaft making it rotate.

Boncuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back