Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Variable Resistance controlling led pulse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashex

Hey Guys,

A couple years back I purchased an external usb 2.0 hard drive. This was right when usb 2.0 came out, so I bought this obscenely huge cage and spent more then I should have (to give you an idea, it can take a CD-RW drive). Years later, The director of my tech support internship tells me I need to come up with some sort of project to work on for myself, for some reason my hideously large external cage came to mind, and that became my project.
I'm looking to fit a case fan to the top (maxtor drive, and it gets pretty hot if it isn't cooled directly) and have it setup so that it receives variable voltage so that the temperature of the hard drive changes over time. I'll have a thermistor underneath so the resistance will change as it heats and cools. The end result will be a series of led's (or cathodes) that will pulse depending on the temperature, faster for hotter, slower for cooler.
I've done my best at thinking it through (I've taken 3 years of electronics courses, but that was three years ago too) and all I've come up with is using an ic chip with AND/NOR gates along with a 555 timer and some capicitance involved. I'm a little stumped on the part involving the lights, but I've more or less got the variable fan speed portion figured out.
So, I was wondering if anyone knew what the base requirements for the led pulse portion would be?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back