Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

variable power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmythefizz

hi, i need a variable power supply, to power a tattoo machine, has to be dc, 0-12 volts, would the circuit in the following link work, and would it need to be adapted for uk voltages?

https://www.science-projects.com/PowerSupply.htm

somebody told me you can make one from a wall wart power supply, because all of the parts are in there, is this correct?

thanks in advance!

The dimmer is NOT a reostat that varies voltage; instead it varies amperage by being what some call a wave cutter. This is important because this type of power supply will NOT vary the voltage, but it will - even more importantly - vary the milliamperage.

Well, it says right away that this circuit will NOT vary voltage. Also, if you're doing tattoo work, you're going to want a voltage supply that is very reliable and dependable . . . i wouldn't think that this is very reliable n dependable.

Your question asks about a 0-12vdc power supply and your link is for 120v which do you need.. A wall wart will have a step down transformer in it, which you don't want if you need 120v. It may, or not, have diodes for rectification it all depends on which one you choose..

jimmythefizz said:
the tattoo machine runs between 3 - 12 volts
the power supply does, like a bench power supply i guess, check this link to see what i mean, i am in the uk btw, which makes a difference.

but i want to make a much simpler looking power supply, just a dial, sockets, and a meter, like the power supply pictured...
quote]

I would suggest you buy one of the power supplies off the link you posted, they are not too expensive, I suggest you would probably spend as much (if not more) building one yourself.

It's fairly obvious you're not at all experienced in electronics, simply by the first link you posted - whatever you do, don't ever think of using that! - it's ABSOLUTELY FATAL!. It's a light dimmer, not a variable power supply, and as such uses live mains! - I wouldn't like someone sticking needles in me, but I'd like it a damn sight less sticking needles with 230V in me!.

i havent got a clue about electrnoics, I have a power supply, but was toying with the idea of making one, best leave such things alone then.

jimmythefizz said:
i havent got a clue about electrnoics, I have a power supply, but was toying with the idea of making one, best leave such things alone then.

I think it's best, if you want to learn about electronics start with battery powered devices, leave mains alone until you gain a good amount of experience!.

- I wouldn't like someone sticking needles in me, but I'd like it a damn sight less sticking needles with 230V in me!.

Hopefully it wasnt a typo and intended as torture power supply instead of tatoo power supply!

As already suggested or implied, it's probably best to purchase a ready made supply AND one that was made for the application. It's one thing to make an appliance and supply that might occasionally come into contact with someone - quite another (in my opinion) to do the same for something that will have a very low resistance contact on a regular basis. I'd like to think that the appliance that holds the needle is built to appropriate safety standards but it's safety might be quite dependent on the power supply.

most people i know use the altai units, or eikon, but some smaller suppliers are selling home made, sorry "workshop" made units, which is what i was looking at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back