Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Variable frequency square wave (need help)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrz126

I need some help with a (hoopefully) simple circuit for the leds I have mounted in my roof of my car. Heres alittle background first...
The leds are controlled by 8 bit shift registers with transistor arrays connected to the 8 outputs to provide the high current. I then control the shift in bit and clock bit using a couple 4017 Counters (used as a frequency divider). The clocks of the counters are controlled by a LM3915 VU meter IC which is connected to my subwoofer amp. So the LEDs change with the music.

I'm looking for a circuit that has a 5VDC square wave output. which changes frequency over time. (ie. it starts running at say 10 Hz then it increases slowly to say 50 Hz. over a period of 15 seconds, then it goes back to 10Hz and repeats).

I know a PIC would be excellent for this job, but I dont have any idea how to program one. (I'll be taking a microprocessors class next fall though :) ). So right now I'm hoping for a simple solution.
If you need any more information or have any extra questions please ask. I'd greatly appreciate the help.

Use an LM331 VCO with its frequency controlled by the rising and falling voltage of the timing cap of a very low frequency of an astable 555, or the ramping voltage output of a very low frequency triangle-wave generator.

I've got something similar going. I'm using a 555 as an oscillator, and by connecting the voltage control pin to a triangle wave generator (made using a pair of op-amps as a ramp generator and schmitt trigger in a loop). I'm getting rising a falling frequencies, but if you used bigger caps and resistor, i'm sure it'd do what you need it to.

Hi Dr. EM,
I haven't tried it. Does a 555 change its frequency 5 :1 with its voltage control pin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back