Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Variable frequency ramp generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

SneaKSz

Hello Guys,

I'm having problems with designing this "Variable frequency ramp generator". It has to be somewhere around 10 Hz - 200 kHz. I tried with the 555 as ramp generator but then got stuck with adapting the voltage to vary the frequency :
sawtooth-generator-jpg.36294

Someone whos knows a decent circuitry/IC to retrieve this goal?

EDIT : So with variable I mean controlled from a µC

Kind regards !

Last edited:
You're not going to get anywhere near that in a single range, the value of R sets the charging current, and thus the frequency - make that a variable pot (with a fixed resistor in series) and make C switchable for different ranges.

Hi Nigel, thanks for the reply. ( I've edited my first post !)

Well it is there some kind of IC (digitally controlled) to set parallel to the R, in order to change the load current.

Kind regards

If the frequency is to be digitally controlled by a micro, why not just get the micro to apply a train of current pulses to the capacitor to generate the ramp?

Well are you able to supply some sort of schematic ? Maybe adapt R1 en R2 to a µC output and regulate the ON time?

Thx

Some kind of function generator and it needs sine, square, sawtooth and traingle. the " sine, square, sawtooth" are done by a DDS and now I need the sawtooth.
Indeed I also thought that, generate it from a SPI DAC, but lets take a look.

fosc µC = 40MHz, spi clk = fosc/4 = 10 MHz ( SPI DAC = 20 MHz), 2 bytes need to be sent to set the output voltage => update at = 10MHz/16 =625 kHz. Lets say a sawtooth 0 to 5V, Deltva V? 100 steps? f sawtooth = 6,25kHz . I can use some kind of recovery filter but the cut off frequency has to be variable...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back