Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

variable DC power source 0-600V @ 1A max, analog or digital controlled

Status
Not open for further replies.

mencinni

Hello all !
i need to build a power-source, from 0V to 600V DC, 1A.
i'm in canada, so i have access to 110V AC, or anything from a DC transformer

last time i built a powersource, it was with a VARIAC (0-150V output, 20A), then a transformer (110V to 500V), then through a diode bridge. The output was variable, was more or less DC, and was doing OK. Problem was the weight, about 22lbs, and its supposed to be a portable device.

I saw something similar, that was using 12v dc and could produce 0-500V DC. It was digitaly controlled, anybody knows how to achieve that ?

any links or plans would be really appreciated
Mencinni

1amp at 600V is 600watts.. that's neither a safe voltage nor a safe current at that voltage to work with if you don't know what you're doing. You could do the same thing with the Variac with a 6-1 step up transformer before the variac, but that's not going to do any favors to your dislike of weight. I'd say a commercial unit but something that can do what you want it likely to be pretty expensive!

woah thanks for the fast reply
in fact, i know what i do, my company has been using such power-supplies for more then 10 years ! without accidents ! or very small accidents (we drive that current in the ground, and i felt some bit of voltage a few times, nothing harmfull)
i'd just love to get a lighter version of the device, and if possible cheap. Something around 500$ of mats would be suitable for me.

but thanks !
Mencinni

You should be able to get close to a fully functional commercial unit for 500$ I would recommend searching more on the Internet in general.

Last edited:
<edit>woah thanks for all the links
at first i thought it was spam in your signature, very interesting !! </edit>

i found something that would look like what i want :
**broken link removed**

if you scroll down the table: its 680W, 0-600V DC, 0-1.3A.
Problem is that is not made to be used outside, it can rain, it can be very hot... and its costs about 2200$US

Judging by the size of the box, it doesn't look filled with 6kg transformers... must be electronicaly amplified...
i'm looking over voltage doubler or tripler... maybe it can be something that helps, even if that means finding huge capacitors...

any ideas are still appreciated, even "its too hard to make" ;)
i've done 3 years in electronic college, i have the basics (even if i'm a little rusty now)

Carl

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back