Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Variable DC-DC amplifier : from 0-3.3V to 0-12V

Status
Not open for further replies.

avass

Sorry for the newby question, I'd really appreciate your advices / hints :

I am outputing 0-3.3V from a DAC which I'd need to linearly amplify to a variable range, such as 0-5V or 0-12V etc. Not sure about the impedance of the output, but I'd like to be able to handle at around 1A with a very little error on the output.

May I ask what approach / design / parts should I consider / use?

Thank you!

National makes "Power OpAmps" that are capable of +-30V at +-3A. It requires big split supplies and big heatsinks. **broken link removed** There are lots of others.

Last edited:
Thanks. That made me realize that I forgot to mention that I have a limitation : Vcc=12V ( also, output is 0-max.12V )

Last edited:
Cant be done. Power OpAmps are not rail-to-rail. The Vdd supply will need to be about 3V higher than the highest output voltage, and Vss about 3V lower than the lowest output voltage. If you really want 0-12V, you will need +15V and -3V supplies.

Looks like it makes a reasonable voltage follower, but still runs out of steam at about 10.6V

Attachments

• 3080.png
    3080.png
    26.8 KB · Views: 288
If I change the R2 with AD5293 ( variable digital potmeter ) using an LT1413 ( op amp - 12V ), the simulation shows that I'd get what I'm looking for. I also noticed, that the min.Vout is ~70mV, which I think is OK. Can you have a look at these please it this would really work? Thank you!

Attachments

• 19K.png
    19K.png
    8 KB · Views: 261
  • 100K.png
    100K.png
    7.7 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
Your simulations have no load on the output (other than the feedback resistor). Try it when the opamp is driving a 12 Ohm load (to ground? or to +12V ?)

Yes, I've tried it with and seem to have worked with about 180 Ohm... May I ask where the 12 Ohm comes from? Why not some other number? I know I need to learn more and I really appreciate your advice. Thank you.

Last edited:
You started this thread saying that you wanted 1A at 12V. R = E/I = 12/1 = 12Ω

You are absolutely right, my apologies... How about the attached? Yes, it seems to "crap out" at around 10.5V, but until that it seems to hold quite well...

Attachments

• PL_Stab.png
    PL_Stab.png
    14.6 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back