Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Variable 0-110VDC Popwer Supply @ 1A+

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmt

Hello,

I need to know if there are any schematics out there all ready on how to build a simple Variable 0-110VDC Power Supply @ 1A or greater? I am trying to control a 110volt DC/AC @ .75A motor for a Mini Variable Speed Drill Press.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Jonathon

visit to www.epanorama.net you will find schematics of many variable Supply....i think u can use the combination of BUCK and BOOST converters to get 110 variable...but you shud visit that url will learn alot about supplies

NAB,

Thanks as I checked out the site and I was excited as there was a 300V PS, but it was only .5amps. So I need at least 1amp for the PS as the 110 Volts DC/AC motor needs .75amps to run.

Jonathon

Try googling for 'drill speed controller', it's a common project, and uses phase shifting to trigger a triac or SCR at specific points of the mains cycle.

If you really want variable mains, try searching for 'variac' which is a variable transformer.

If your motor needs to retain torque then you must consider a circuit that will supply constant current throughout the variable voltage range. Some motor speed controllers fall short of that requirement. Choose carefully.

Google for a "Variac" (Variable AC Transformer). I have one, as do many Ham Radio Operators.

Regards, Mike

**broken link removed**

There's a 3-amp model for $45 here; **broken link removed**

Last edited:
HiTech said:
Most light dimmer circuits are not designed to power an inductive load like that of a motor.

I agree, but worth a try isn't it?
Since the drill is a low power inductive load...

WOW, Thanks guys as I have found a few great idea to at least begin with. But one thing I do know as i will need a constant current to the speed controller. And was thinking about isolating the AC main line going to the AC/DC Motor.

But the cost of adding a Transformer will make it very expensive. Can I add a full wave Bridge Rect in back of the ac main(after main on/off and plug) before going to the SCR circuit, or will this defect the Traic and SCR purpose of speed controling?

Anyway thanks for all the help...

Jonathon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back