Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

vacuum tube VOM

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are all pretty similar schematics.

Here's an old Heathkit VTVM schematic.

Attachments

• Heath kit VTVM.gif
    Heath kit VTVM.gif
    137.1 KB · Views: 182
This link will get you to an operators manual for a Hickok 203. Not quite what you have but similar. As pointed out, most of the early VTVM designs were similar. The power supplies were all close in design. High voltage rectified by a dual diode like the 5Y3 and regulated by a tube like the OD3 VR-150. They glow purple when working. I would start with the power supply if you need to troubleshoot.

Ron

What the - ? Is that D cell SOLDERED into the VTVM? Did the contacts break off, or was it designed that way?

It been a while since I have seen waxed cover foil-paper caps and cloth covered wires. Can you imagine how long a D sized Alkaline battery will last in it nowdays. Nothing like a vacuum tube in the RF detector test probe to keep your hand warm in the winter.

Last edited:
i really dont have a use for this. anyone know what it would be worth to a collector?

Take some pictures and put it on eBay and see. Probably get $50 to $100 for it. You might get more if it is working. Looks like some modification have been made to it. Original did not have a BNC connector on front. It was a butt screw on microphone connector.

It sold new for about $75 in early 50's. That is about $680 in today's dollars.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back