Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

VAC to VDC Outlet Power Adapters...

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinAlaska

I have a general question about VAC to VDC Power adapters used so often by electronics.

I have a rather now large collection of the power adapters. I need to use one for my linksys router. It uses a 12 VDC, 500 mA power supply with a positive center of the post.

If I use another power adapter that has a 12VDC, 1000mA power supply with the same positive center terminal of the same size, would it work fine?

Is the current rating just a max rating of what the power supply can give before maybe burning out?

Is there any other concerns about power adapters I am not aware of? I know some chargers for laptops are very specific but isn't VDC just VDC as long as the plug is the same and the voltage the same?

Kind Regards

Kevin

The question is: does DC = DC = DC???

Some are half-wave rectified with no filter capacitor
More are full-wave rectified with no filter capacitor
Some are full-wave rectified with a whimpy filter capacitor
Some are full-wave rectified with an adequate filter capacitor
Some are full-wave rectified with an adequate filter capacitor and a linear regulator
Some are full-wave rectified with an adequate filter capacitor and a switching regulator
Some are a regulated off-line switcher

And others I have forgotten...

I agree with MikeMI.

It is more complicated than you think.

If it is a regulated supply, then there won't be a problem.

But if it is unregulated, then the voltage with no load will be greater than 12 V, possibly 18 V or more.

If an unregulated supply is rated at 12VDC 1000mA, then it means that the voltage will be about 12 V when the current drawn is 1000 mA.

The voltage will be higher for lower currents.

So I suggest that you measure the voltge with no load.

If it is unregulated, then you need to know whether your linksys router can withstand the higher voltage. I think it can, but I can't be sure without seeing the circuit diagram.

Very cool! I have forgotten lots over the years and that really helps bring a good spect of it back to me. That really helped.

Kind Regards,

Kevin

And others I have forgotten...
The only other one I can think of is an unregulated SMPS.

I found one in a mobile phone charger.

It was just a cheap blocking oscillator and a ferrite transformer, with a rectifier and capacitor on the secondary and no feedback or regulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back