Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

UV LED harmful?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeanTech

Hi There

I recently took out a UV led that was part of a child's toy. I've read articles across the internet that states that the UV from the led can be harmful to your skin and eyes.

Is it really harmful or dangerous?

Thanks in advance

UV is well know to be harmful to the skin and eyes, but it depends upon the wavelength and intensity. You would need to know both about the LED determine that.

But it's more likely that the LED is IR, which is not dangerous, rather then UV. What makes you think it is UV?

All UV light is not good for the eyes and is why sunglasses help protect our eyes.

Do you get UV ratings for your weather reports in summer telling you on high UV level days to cover up and wear block out lotion on your skin......do you ever wonder why they advise that.......answer skin cancer.

But before you get off your bike about UV and a kids toy, it is also a matter of timed exposure to UV and the wave length of the UV light involved, for interest if you have gone to the dentist and had a filling done it was most likely set with UV light, and the dentist wore glasses to protect his eyes as he has exposure frequently of high intensity UV.

I use 20 UV leds to expose printed circuit boards that have a UV light sensitive coating and it takes about 5 minutes, if i place the same board out in bright sunlight it takes about 1 minute to expose, so you see we are walking around in UV all the time.

Where a problem come in with leds and our eyes, is inside our eyes dilate due to the lower light levels so we are more acceptable to the UV light as the eye dont see the intensity of UV light the same as white light.

Fluro lights give off high amounts of UV light and i am told the low energy globes on the market are even worst for UV light.

Black lights in Disco's were UV lights (if anyone still remembers disco's) and we partied all night under them, like moths to a bug zapper.

Its like all things in life if used in moderation it most likely wont effect to much but over exposure is never good for anything.

A toy laser would be worst if shined in the eye or on the skin for a period of time and kids still play with them.

Pete.

I assume it's UV because it emits a violet-type colour that makes white and neon objects glow. I'm not sure of the power output and wavelength, but it operates on a single 1,5V AAA battery.

SABorn, so if I understand you correctly, you say that it is safe unless you shine it onto your skin or shine it into your eyes directly?

It sounds to me like the family of UV light devices known as a black light from your description:

I assume it's UV because it emits a violet-type colour that makes white and neon objects glow. I'm not sure of the power output and wavelength, but it operates on a single 1,5V AAA battery.

Read the safety section of the link. I doubt you have much to worry about in this case.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back