Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

UV ereasers with led's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exo

Does anyone know if it would be possible to make an UV chip ereaser using UV leds?

I found some ultrabright UV leds and perhaps letting the led shine directly into the chip's window would erease it?

would make a simple and compact ereaser, anyone already tried such a thing?

Unless the LEDs come with a safety warning, I would doubt that the UV light is U enough. The tubes generally used for erasing EEPROMs are somewhat dangerous to humans. I'd guess that UV LEDs are more similar to the so-called 'black light' units which used to popular at discos(may still be popular for all I know[or care]).

I have been meaning to give it a try with a UV led i got laying around, not too sure it will work... The led did come with a warning...

:idea: Do a comparison of the wavelengths of normal tubes and the UV Led, if there close-ish? it should work.

The Leds higher focusing may actually be better?? I'm interested in this application too ;) Let us know if it works?

Edit## Checkout this Link >> https://optics.org/articles/news/9/11/14/1 @wavelengths of 290nm and 275nm, this should be possible. Although lower watts, its concentration on a pic/eprom die should blast it ;)

Steve

I ordered the led's today, and the dealer told me these leds indeed have a warning that they may cause eye damage when looking in them...

Will give it a try as soon as they arrive

UV LEDs for erasing Eproms

Do a comparison of the wavelengths of normal tubes and the UV Led, if there close-ish? it should work
I looked into trying this with "super bright" high output LEDs several months ago. The lowest wavelength LEDs I could find were around 400-405nm,

**broken link removed**

and most blue LEDs fall in the 470nm range

**broken link removed**

My old Intel databooks recommend exposure to UV light of 2537 Angstoms (254 nm) for erasure, and the only thing that comes close are UV lamps like the G4T5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back