Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Utter Confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

electroliite

Firstly I have to admit this is a homework question, but I am really confused about it.

Problem : "5. You have found that all components have 0V across it and the power supply has the correct voltage. What are you looking for as a problem?"

Now there are three possible answers:
A. Bad power supply
B. Open component
C. Shorted component

However, if the the power supply has the correct voltage, and there are zero volts across each component then there isn't an open component. One component must have the source voltage across it.

If there was a short then all the components would have zero volts, but also the power supply would have a lower voltage?

Please help

THat happened to me...the output connector on my my power supply output had one of the wires loose. Now...what does a loose wire classify as?

(Hint: same thing also happens if the "loose" connection occurs inside the circuit right where the power supply enters)

I think you've already answered this one for yourself as you've already effectively eliminated two of the possible answers.

To me, this is an ambiguous question:
electroliite said:
You have found that all components have 0V across it and the power supply has the correct voltage. What are you looking for as a problem?"
"Power supply has the correct voltage", does that mean that there is a supply to the PSU, or does it mean that the PSU has the correct output voltage?

electroliite said:
Now there are three possible answers:
A. Bad power supply
B. Open component
C. Shorted component

However, if the the power supply has the correct voltage, and there are zero volts across each component then there isn't an open component. One component must have the source voltage across it.
I agree.

electroliite said:
If there was a short then all the components would have zero volts, but also the power supply would have a lower voltage?
Or maybe the PSU has zero output voltage, depends on the interpretation of the statement "Power supply has the correct voltage".

Please re-read the question and let us know the EXACT wording, have you paraphrased the question and lost some of the meaning?

JimB

Please re-read the question and let us know the EXACT wording, have you paraphrased the question and lost some of the meaning?

JimB
I think you're right, Jim. Electroliite, check your question, which no doubt you've quoted incorrectly:
Problem : "5. You have found that all components have 0V across it and the power supply has the correct voltage. What are you looking for as a problem?"
For proper grammar, that should be "...all components have 0V across them..."

And you've asked:
But that's not what the question, even as you posted it, asked. 0V across each of the components is different than 0V across all of the components.

Nope the problem was exactly quoted from the sheet my professor gave me. However, the answer according to him was an open electic "What I put"

Thanks for your help though

Sorry, I didn't mean to jump on you for being the one at fault. I think you have a case for taking issue with the wording of the question, although I'd try to be tactful in bringing it up with your professor (or whoever wrote the exam), should you choose to. The lack of attention to detail in literature by people who are otherwise leaders in their fields is a constant source of bemusement (and amusement) for me. Still, there are none of us who are not infallible.

I saw utter confusion and I though this had somthing to do with cows. I guess im out of luck.

Sounds like a shorted component inside, aka open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back