Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using the "secure" features of SD memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobW

Prior to getting hold of a Raspberry Pi, I'd never used SD cards for anything, but I'm now finding them extremely handy for carrying large amounts of data with me when I travel to job sites. Since these may sometimes contain confidential data, it would be nice to take advantage of the SD cards' inherent security feature, i.e., the password protection feature. Unfortunately I have yet to see any SD card reader or computer system software that implements this feature. I did find one PC based utility (but my main computer is a Mac) that will lock or unlock an SD card, but I'm rather leery of any product coming from a company called Kakasoft, and which uses terribly broken English on its website.

So, my question is: Does anyone know of an SD reader that makes use of the password feature?

Failing this, I was thinking it might be an interesting project to build a small microcontroller based interface that goes between a standard SD reader and the SD card, allowing the user to enter a password by means of a small built-in keyboard. Any thoughts?

A Google of "password protect sd card" will bring up about a dozen solutions depending on the operating system the card will be used with, such as Windows or Mac. Personally I would look to keep it simple and place an encrypted or password protected folder on the card.

Ron

I did do a Google search, but nothing came up. If you look closely at the search results, they are related to using the built in OS encryption capabilities, not the SD card password feature. If you did manage to find one that uses the SD card password feature, please post a link. Thanks.

Yes. I already have that document. It's the basis for what my design will be if I end up building a microcontroller interface.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back