Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

using the amd geode

Status
Not open for further replies.

simoin

Has anyone had any experience in putting together an AMD Geode processor together with some from of IO controlloer etc to make up anything, I am thinking of setting up a media centre or something similar that will run linux.

I hope you are talking about Geode NX. Originally Geode was created by Cyrix and has changed hands few times. It's low power processor but also low performance. Since AMD got Geode, there was number of improvements such as complete implementation of SSI instruction set, clock increase etc. This wasn't quite enough to compete with ARM for example so AMD made their own version which was actually based on Athlon design. With some 6-14W it draws some 3-10x more power of the little Geodes but it also has way higher clock and better architecture. Since it is waay more powerfull, it is perfectly suitable for demanding media applications, something older units couldn't touch. I don't think it is worth to invest time develop low volume hardware of this complexity. I would try picking some of the existing single board computers.
**broken link removed**

thanks, that was the information I was looking for, I was a bit curious to know if anyone out here has devolped anything using them, i see that the low power ones are being used in stuff like home version of network storage etc. pretty cool stuff anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back