Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using small components

Status
Not open for further replies.

silvarblade

hi ijust got a few ics and sensors from Texas Instruments but the problem is they are very small. Is there any way i can use them? I have included a picture comparing it with your normal 74LS160 Ic.

Attachments

• 20112008877.jpg
    20112008877.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 142
Unless you can make your own PCB (or buy a SMD adapter PCB from Ebay or similar) then you will struggle.

Soldering surface mount ICs with a small pitch takes a lot of practice.

hi ijust got a few ics and sensors from Texas Instruments but the problem is they are very small. Is there any way i can use them? I have included a picture comparing it with your normal 74LS160 Ic.

Do you mean that you received SMD parts? The one on the left seems to be a SOIC-8 IC. If that's the case, you'd have to design and make a PCB with proper footprints and solder the IC with a suitabe tip, or - if it's just for prototyping - you can get SMD-to-DIP adapters.

yeh my neighbor works at ti and i told him if he could get me some sensors to practice with. the above ic is a 2w audio amplifier.i am searching ebay for a Pcb for that purpose. i just wanted to work with some their ics.I payed him some money but i think he got some from the company directly(cheap).i just want to practice i-e just use the connections can i make a custom pcb of this kind if there is not commercially available?

Last edited:
I back when microchip allowed free PIC samples, I accidentally sampled some 16F series in the SOIC-8 package once.... Doh! As cool as thy are, I can't use them for anything. :(

SOIC is fine for hand soldering :)

Its the really really fine pitch stuff that gets me. I can do a 10F200 in SMT without too much of a problem but anything finer than that and I won't bother.

I'd like to try doing some SMT work someday. I just began to play with laying out PCBs though, so it will be a while till I am ready to takle them.

Last edited:
The nice thing about SMT is that you don't have to drill tiny holes. :D

It just takes practice, and really, we can do amazing things. I've done an 80 pin TQFP, but using a large magnifier with light.

Sparkfun has some tutorials, and there are others on uTube...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back