Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using RTOS with PIC18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lourens

I use assembler with PIC18 processors for my applications together with a home-brewed RTOS (more of a cooperative task executive). There are no bells and whistles but it has served me well (or so I think) in some fairly involved control applications where some tasks require execution at predefined rates - say 20 to 200mSec. How about you guys - do you use an RTOS and what is your experience.

Lourens

For 99% of PIC18 programming tasks a RTOS is unnecessary overhead. If you have a project that 'needs' a OS to manage resources instead of using the PIC18 with properly structured direct embedded programming with high/low interrupts then you need a more capable chip for your project and RTOS.

nsaspook - i dont agree with your 99%. Some use an RTOS for the sake of the structure/order it brings even to a small application. My applications are mostly controlling things where timing is important. The following is a general example of tasks and services required.
- Read keyboard and drive led's and lcd display
- Logic to edit and save setpoint to eeprom
- Logic to edit and save alarm values
- Talk to rtc via i2c
- Logic to handle alarm indications
- Read temperature and filter it
- PID management logic
- PID controller
- PWM driver for thyristor
- uart handler for monitor and control via pc (38400 Baud)

Bill - seems like we are on the same wavelength. The following are a few details about my task scheduler system which you can see is at basic similar to yours:
- PIC clock speed 32Mhz (using PLL)
- 8 round robin tasks (task switch takes 2.25uSec)
- 7 Time activated tasks (select from 10,20,40,50,100,200mSec)
- A scheduler routine (2.25uSec) runs every 10mSec to control time tasks
- The program memory required is less than 100 bytes and up to 30 bytes ram

nsaspook - i dont agree with your 99%. Some use an RTOS for the sake of the structure/order it brings even to a small application. My applications are mostly controlling things where timing is important. The following is a general example of tasks and services required.
- Read keyboard and drive led's and lcd display
- Logic to edit and save setpoint to eeprom
- Logic to edit and save alarm values
- Talk to rtc via i2c
- Logic to handle alarm indications
- Read temperature and filter it
- PID management logic
- PID controller
- PWM driver for thyristor
- uart handler for monitor and control via pc (38400 Baud)

Bill - seems like we are on the same wavelength. The following are a few details about my task scheduler system which you can see is at basic similar to yours:
- PIC clock speed 32Mhz (using PLL)
- 8 round robin tasks (task switch takes 2.25uSec)
- 7 Time activated tasks (select from 10,20,40,50,100,200mSec)
- A scheduler routine (2.25uSec) runs every 10mSec to control time tasks
- The program memory required is less than 100 bytes and up to 30 bytes ram

You don't have a RTOS and you don't for a very good reason(it's not needed). What you have is a auto task scheduler that almost every complex threaded PIC programs has at some point. IMO at the code complexity of a PIC18 project, source code level modularization is the proper method to use for structure/order instead abstracting the hardware with a RTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back