Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

using router to communicate w robot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i m conceptualizing how i want to do this.
does any one have any suggestions on how to use a local network router around my house. i want to build a security robot. basically something i can send out the bot when there is a noise and monitor through camera on local network.

Good luck, the problems associated with that kind of application professional engineers are still working on =\

What are you going to use a router for? It obviously can't be a wired application that's not particularly practical, so maybe wi-fi or something for communication?

what i had in mind is this. Have preset , gps positions the robot will patrol ( like all 4 corners of my house) if something is going on ... use the keyboard on the computer to monitor and then perhaps navigate the robot closer to whats going on. So it would break away from those GPS presets when i override it. Thats what I wanted to use router. So i could have my laptop or be somewhere else ( in the world ) and monitor my house and shop. Also i wanted the robot to send all data to a server inside. So if it gets attacked and destroyed the data is safe inside. Like a dog gets ( not likely around here) or someone does something to it.

the "router" can be only used as wifi access point but that will require wifi enabled module on the robot .. in general, you can get a subnotebook (eeepc or similar atom based subnote) that you attache camera to (if there is not one already) and make a simple usb interface for few sensors and for motor control, mount that on chasis and voila. Even simpler, use usb2serial, check the forum there is project that control ~12 servos via serial port .. that's more then enough to control robot movement, then you need to write a software for that subnotebook to control all that and forward stream from camera to the "record & view station"

fairly easy to make - not as cheap ... I'd say ready made solution is cheaper.

In reality when the theives see this robot with all the expensive goodies they'll just steal the bot and the next day you'll find it on ebay..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back