Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using resistors as simple heating elements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have to de-rate the resistor power massively when they are encapsulated. 5 watt resistors run at 4 watt will melt the solder on their legs!

I would run the resistors at about 20% of their rated wattage, and just use more of them. It won't matter how much you de-rate them the "stone" will still give off X watts heat for X watts of input power.

if he uses more resistors, then the only way to maintain their resistance is to use series parallel resistors. i know from first hand experience that series parallel resistors increases the overall wattage of the resistors, which means less heat produced.

Sure, but's it's still a poor choice to run the resistors too hot. There will be a much larger thermal expansion and greater difference in hot/cold areas of the cast material, both likely to crack it.

If I understood correctly the OP wants to use the heated rock for insects. The temererature doesn't have to be high though.

The oven I built had a very small volume (48ccm) and the resistors used maintained a constant (air) temperature inside the box of 100deg/C. I mounted them on a PCB at 5mm above the board with 2mm dia brass tubing for the wires (to cool the wire) and nothing burned or melted. The total dissipated power was ~20W for a steep temperature slope and used 6 pieces of 5W resistors of 47Ω.

At 12V and the resistors wired in parallel the power dissipation was 3.06W.

Using resistors to heat a rock for insects I assume a maximum temperature of 37 to 40deg/C which can be achieved by using 1/4W metal film resistors and a total power dissipation of 5W.

BTW, cock roaches don't care for heating. :)

and used 6 pieces of 5W resistors of 47Ω.

At 12V and the resistors wired in parallel the power dissipation was 3.06W.

That's about perfect, you used 30W of resistors with a nice large surface area and run at 3W total (10% of rated W).

BTW, cock roaches don't care for heating. :)

Which probably explains why we don't see many roaches here in the tropics but the city where I used to live (much colder) roaches would run rampant.

That's about perfect, you used 30W of resistors with a nice large surface area and run at 3W total (10% of rated W).

Slight misunderstanding.

I used 6 paralleled resistors with each dissipating 3.06W. That's a total of 18.36W.

Some good advice here, thanks everyone! I can't wait to pinch a handful of resistors from work and start eperimenting! De rating them is because of the smell is something I hadn't considered till I tested a 5w resistor at 4.5w, I usually just tinker with microcontrollers and small currents!

Slight misunderstanding.

I used 6 paralleled resistors with each dissipating 3.06W. That's a total of 18.36W.

Yeouch! No wonder the roaches didn't want to sit on them! :eek:
;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back