Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

using PIC16f628A with an incremental rotary encoder - Help getting started

Status
Not open for further replies.

radioshack

Hi Can someone point me in the direction of some related code for these type of encoders - in C please.

MECHANICAL ROTARY ENCODER SWITCH (INCREMENTAL TYPE)

I have experimented using a 16-way rotary switch hexadecimal rotary (4-bits) on an interrupt (TMR0) to flash an LED on pin-18 (RA1) either faster or slower depending on position.

Now I want to do the same kind of thing (initially) with a inc. encoder (2-bit gray - is this right?) - ideally using the encoder's push button for a zeroing operation.

I have had quite a good look over google to find something similar but must be typing in the wrong search criteria somehow.

I am using a PicKit2 with MPLab and PICC compiler.

Thank you.

There a a few sites on the net for this.. however the gray code for a two bit or even a four bit encoder is minimal... you can use a simple lookup table to convert..

Binary 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E.F
Gray 0,1,3,2,6,7,5,4,C,D,F,E,A,B,9,8

So read portx lookup the equivalent..buda bing your done

Ian

Thanks Ian.

I really meant to ask about how to start off writing code for incremental encoders.

I am genuinely confused as to why the encoder's description (admittedly it's not a full datasheet, but) actually mentions gray code, as the encoder doesn't appear to have any actual absolute encoding, only incremental - with two square waves, one lagging or leading the other to denote direction of rotation. Afterall, the encoder boasts 20-positions & so would require 5-bits not 2.

Although I have got my head around the simple TMR0 interrupt, I am aware that the interrupts I should be using would probably be looking for' a rising edge on a pin. I'm not sure if the PIC I'm using can handle two of these type interrupts that (I think) need to see both a rising edge and then later falling edge.

Of course I can just keep polling the ports on a timer event, but this seems less eloquent & also may cause problems if later on I start carrying out other functions from main().

Sorry if I haven;t explained this too well.

hi,
Post the datasheet for the encoder or a link.
I would say the encoder you have that gives a quadrature signal, even though it has 20 index positions, will only be a 2 bit code.

hi rs,
With that type of quadrature switch you have to detect the switching edges in order to determine inc or dec [ CW/CCW] rotation.
You could use interrupt on change on two of the PORTB pins.
Looking at the amount of bounce on the contacts some program delays will be required.

Also I would say also the current inc/dec count will have to be saved in EEPROM at power down, recall on power up.

That's not true Eric. You can also poll for a change in level.

The nice thing about that quadrature signal is that after detecting a change, you can easily determine direction by exclusive-OR'ing the current A or B bit with the opposite bit from the previous sample. The result, 0 or 1, is the direction.

Last edited:
That's not true Eric. You can also poll for a change in level.

The nice thing about that quadrature signal is that, after detecting a change, you can easily determine direction by exclusive-OR'ing the current A or B bit with the opposite bit from the previous sample. The result, 0 or 1, is the direction.

hi Mike,
What part have I said that is not true.?
Which ever method he uses he will have to detect a change in A or B to determine direction.

I said he 'could' use interrupts on PORTB, I didn't say thats the only way.:D

I would use the interrupt option.

Eric
EDIT:
Note the Indent positions for the 20

Attachments

• AAesp02.gif
    AAesp02.gif
    3.5 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
Thanks guys.

just viewing the section in '628A datasheet on:
PORTB INTERRUPT

In the code I basically copied out when using TMR0 the interrupt conditions a reset in this manner
TMR0 = 0; // Timer (or counter) TMR0 returns its initial value
INTCON = 0x20; // Bit T0IE is set, bit T0IF is cleared
//T0IF = 0; // clear timer0 flag
//T0IE = 1; // re-enable timer0 interrupt

For the on-change intpt I need to set RBIE in main()
then RBIF will go high if there is any change on pins RB4:7 - rising or falling, is this right?
RBIE will need to be set again at the end of the isr routine for the next change to be caught (?).

For a CW rotation the pin for A (say RB4) will see an event before the pin for B (eg RB5), but it's this double visit that I can't get my head around - what if I miss one or the other?

Although I should probably put this together from scratch myself I could sure use an bit of example code right now.

I might try some more googling!

Last edited:
hi rs,
Look thru this pdf.

Attachments

• RotaryEncoder.pdf
    31.5 KB · Views: 403
Perhaps nit-picking, but, you said;

But you can also detect changing levels.

Mike,
Please feel free to nit pick.;)

But as a retro nit-pick, you say But you can also detect changing levels , which suggests that you can also detect edges as an option.

Personally I dont mind which solution the OP chooses, I just suggest options.

I am having trouble with using the PortB Interrupt to pick up the pulses from the encoder.
I think this is, as was suggested as a likely problem previously, there is a debounce issue - so at the moment I am trying to allow the code to run a a timer interrupt once a pulse is seen on the RB7:4 pins to stop this.
What I want to know is: Can I not have both the OnPortChange interrupt running at the same time OnTimer interrupt? As when I switch both ON in the INTCON register the TMRO event stops getting called...?
Thanks for any advice :)

Attachments

• HexCodeInput_Coded.c
    2.8 KB · Views: 237
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back