Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using Peltier modules as heaters with geothermal ground loop

Status
Not open for further replies.

azaxi

Hi everyone, I would like to discuss efficiency of Peltier modules.

Please tell me if I am talking nonsense, I never worked with Peltier modules, my understanding is theoretical.

Would like to do a project with garden bed heated with geothermal loop buried 1.5m deep and array of Peltier modules (say TEC1-12710) with cold side connected to the loop and warm side to large (massive) heatsink/radiator, warm side should never go more than a degree above ambient.

According to datasheet, when working optimally, Peltiers should achieve CoP>3 at DT<10'C. An edge case when CoP is zero, they should still be able to get base electric heat with some losses to ground loop coolant through internal conduction, but at that point I will stop circulating the coolant so losses should be small.

To construct 200W heater and be able to use most optimal point with CoP>3, only <20W of heat per element can be transfered, so I would need 10 elements, right?

How realistic is CoP>3 ?

Last edited:
If the manufacturer is publishing performance curves like that, they are probably about right.

Cop of 3 with a DT = 10 °C is far lower than you can get from a proper heat pump, but Peltier cells are small and cheap, so they have their uses.

If you are running at Qc of 20 W you are pumping 20 W from the cold side, and the data sheet seems to say that you will need about 2 A at about 3 V to make that happen.

20 W would cost about £32 in electricity if you used a resistor. Your Peltier element is £8 from Amazon, and there will be pipework as well, so it will make sense to have a system like that if it is run for a long time.

Cop of 3 with a DT = 10 °C is far lower than you can get from a proper heat pump, but Peltier cells are small and cheap, so they have their uses.

If you are running at Qc of 20 W you are pumping 20 W from the cold side, and the data sheet seems to say that you will need about 2 A at about 3 V to make that happen.

Average Qc+Pel=200W in January/February then dropping and almost no heating needed May-Oct so say heating season average 100W x 24hrs/d x 30days/m x 7months = ~500kWh/y. Residential price here is $0.15/kWh and cost of operating electric heater would be $75 Canadian per year.

With average CoP=2.5 of Peltiers, geothermal ground loop will save about $54/yr in electricity.

Considering amount of labor and materials to build this, this project makes no economical sense. But it is proof of concept, then I will build larger greenhouse and at that point will use compressor heat pump. I only chose Peltier elements, because there are no tiny heat pumps and Peltiers and heat exchange accesories are readily available.

Last edited:
My experience of peltier devices is,
They heat much better than cool due to the electrical energy put in turns to heat.
They act as a generator opposing the applied voltage. When ΔT = 0 then max current can flow because no back EMF generated. At some value of ΔT no further change in ΔT) can take place.

Good luck with your project.

Mike.

Thanks guys, I am still digging little by little, but should be installing the pipes soon perhaps tomorrow. I will get back to this thread when its cold enough to see some meaningful results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back