Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using pc as a signal generator - input impedance query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megamox

Was gonna use my laptop soundcard output as a signal generator, just wondering if its okay to do, and what kind of input impedance should i use on my circuitry.

Megamox

Just had a thought, the earphones that you connect to an audio output are about 8-16 ohms. So i guess this is the nominal input impedance i should use for maximum power transfer right.

Megamox said:
Just had a thought, the earphones that you connect to an audio output are about 8-16 ohms. So i guess this is the nominal input impedance i should use for maximum power transfer right.

You don't want maximum POWER transfer, you want to feed the lowish impedance output of the sound card to a higher impedance to give maximum SIGNAL transfer. The earphones you connect are most probably higher than 8-16 ohms, older ISA sound cards could feed normal speakers, later (ATX onwards) sound cards require amplified speakers, they are far too quiet with passive speakers.

I suggest you are EXTREMELY careful, it would be a shame to destroy your laptop?.

Lemme make sure I've got this impedance matching stuff down:

MAX POWER TRANSFER:
Match input and output. Transfer is 50% maximum.

MAX SIGNAL TRANSFER:
Low impedance -> High impedance. Is this close? Anything else I should know?

You should know that the low impedance of the sound card's output has enough power to destroy itself or a load. If the load is an electronic circuit and the output level from the sound card is too high then something will probably be destroyed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back