Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using PC as a microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssembo

Iam to design a circuit that will use microcontrollers inorder to be able to switch two generators, say a 5kW and 10kW to have 5kW, 10kW, or 15kW depending on the need.

I would like to use a PC as my microcontroller but i do not know how. I need your help. I have no idea about microcontrollers but am willing to learn fromthe above to coding.

Thanks

Colin

at your place i would use a simple plc (they start at about 100$) for such big industrials generators that everybody will be able to diagnostic if there is a problem later. How do you measure the need? do you measure current on line?

So, i get a PLC, program it and connect it to my sensing circuit? never delt with PLCs but i can learn.

what voltage are the generator? if they are 480v it is not hard to find a 15kw contactor. i am mounting industrial control panels and i installed up to 200hp contactors at 600volts (approx 150kw)

I am planning to use a CT (current transformer) to sense the current, either convert that to voltage or use that as signal to a microcontroller to make the decissions depending the result. This gets back to the thread title.

Alternatively, you gave me an idea of using PLC. This also gets signals from a sensor and is programmed just like a microcontroller to execute the outputs. Guess am right.

Blueroomelectronics has also come up with an idea of using a 15kW relay. Can this give the three options i needed? i mean the 5, 10, and 15kW. If so,how does it do it because the relays i know trip between two outputs. How is it done with a three phase supply? Do i have to have three different relays or there are relays that can incoperate all the three phases?

I am really sorry if am asking silly questions

thanks

Colin

When i looked at the product, it was named as automatic power factor controller. Please try to explain it cause it put alot of questions in my mind. It seems to me like a complete product...does it do the whole sensing and switching process?

Need to develop this as my final year project "Automatic switching of generator sets"

Thanks

Last edited:
i would simply use a basic plc (also called programmable relay) with one analog input (the lovato website has them). Convert your CT or any current transducer to 0-10V signal and then choose what output you need to get whit load changes. you would need 3 contactors (similar to lovato one) to get a three stage 5,10, 15 kw.
But there is some complication when starting generators, you must leave some delay before it gets connected to power line or else they may be some short-circuit.

i would simply use a basic plc
This Is what I like a forums you get bit's and pieces LOL

There a lot that you have to do here You can just throw a switch and add a generator at will they have to be in phase.

You need to come up with all the parts here .

Power sensing
Phase sensing
Then line switching
Offline power
On line power

I collect and use old 486 laptops to use as controllers/data loggers. These always have Parallel and Serial ports. I have bought some at garage sales for $5. I load QuickBasic 4.5, and use that to write the application.

Where else can you buy a "controller" that has an LCD screen/keyboard/hard/floppy disks/ac power supply/parallel port/serial port/etc for $5.

I collect and use old 486 laptops to use as controllers/data loggers. These always have Parallel and Serial ports. I have bought some at garage sales for $5. I load QuickBasic 4.5, and use that to write the application.

Where else can you buy a "controller" that has an LCD screen/keyboard/hard/floppy disks/ac power supply/parallel port/serial port/etc for $5.

I own a dell inspiron latop, just need to use it for demonstration. My issue is how its used, need some one to explain it for me.

Does it have a Parallel Port? If so, interfacing external hardware is simple. **broken link removed**. You will also need some sort of programming environment that gives you access to the Parallel Port, such as Visual Basic, or pre-Windows QuickBasic.

Does it have a Parallel Port? If so, interfacing external hardware is simple. **broken link removed**. You will also need some sort of programming environment that gives you access to the Parallel Port, such as Visual Basic, or pre-Windows QuickBasic.

I guess i can use USB to parallel port adapter USB parallel adapters, USB computer parallel adapters at TigerDirect.com. I will need to have parallel port on my circuit as well. How are my to interface the circuit and the port?

Thanks

You would be better with something like the USB Bit Whacker

Reset Button
General Input Button (also used to enter program mode during a reset)
mini-USB Connection
16 General I/O
TX/RX (can be used as a USB to UART converter board)
24MHz Resonator
Two Status LEDs
Preprogrammed with Bootloader and UBW_D firmware
Dimensions: 1.0x1.6"
Documents:

UBW Schematic
UBW Bootloader (Hex)
UBW Project Home Page
Microchip USB Framework v1.3 (includes bootloader)
Quickstart guide by Richard Burton

It would give you 16 I/O And a hell of a lot easier to use.

The real good documentations it use adc timers and basic I/O . You plug it in your usb and away you go

Last edited:
You would be better with something like the USB Bit Whacker

It would give you 16 I/O And a hell of a lot easier to use.

The real good documentations it use adc timers and basic I/O . You plug it in your usb and away you go

Thanks very much man. Its probably a good one. Is it easily programmed in C cause thats what have been able to learn.

Iam to design a circuit that will use microcontrollers inorder to be able to switch two generators, say a 5kW and 10kW to have 5kW, 10kW, or 15kW depending on the need.

I would like to use a PC as my microcontroller but i do not know how. I need your help. I have no idea about microcontrollers but am willing to learn fromthe above to coding.

Thanks

Colin

Back to the beginning. Attached is an image of my security blanket. Rest assured I am going somewhere with this. Not sure where but somewhere. :)

Today the outside air temperature is about 10 degrees F (-12 C). Read into that cold. If we lose power it gets cold real quick in the house and suddenly cold beers on a nice Sunday afternoon isn't fun. However if my mains power suddenly goes away within 10 seconds my life is happy again. My generator starts and comes online with a transfer from mains to generator power fully automatic. During that 10 seconds all my computers and anything I care about is backed up by UPS power units which transfer immediately, thus nothing is lost.

The generator does a few smart things. It monitors line voltage and dips or momentary loss of line power is not unusual. Therefore if a loss of mains is detected it waits a few seconds to see if it returns. If not it initiates starting the generator and once up to voltage initiates transfer. It wants to make sure it does not respond to a dip of power but make sure there is a total loss for a few seconds. Hold that thought.

Now let's look at what you propose. You have a 5 KW generator and a 10 KW generator for openers. You closely monitor the demand on the load. If the load exceeds 5 KW you want to switch the load to a 10 KW generator. This looks simple and good on paper but has problems. First, you don't want to run a 5 KW generator under full load constantly, you don't want an instant transfer at 5 KW of load. The 5 KW could just be a spike in demand. You want a delay in there. Maybe like if the load demand exceeds 4.5 KW for several seconds then transfer. Lacking a delay the transfer will freak out (OK get confused) and bang back and forth. Things will get ugly! Additionally if the load is phase sensitive bad things will happen.

Now if the load exceeds 10 KW your options are to bring a 15 KW generator online or combine the 5 KW and 10 KW generators. Remember we are assuming all these generators are up and running. Actually if all the generators are up and running I would just have a single 15 KW generator and be done with it, however, moving along...

Someone mentioned the phasing. You may rest assured that if you have a 5 KW generator and decide to parallel a 10 KW generator lacking perfect sync and control really bad things will happen. You will see sparks, fire and smoke like you never dreamed of.

There are a few considerations in what you want to do or propose and you need to be aware of every one of them. That is what I am saying.

Ron

Attachments

• Snow1.jpg
    Snow1.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 129
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back