Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using old Calculator's Solar Array

Status
Not open for further replies.

mahesh_jo

I am having some Solar Array's from old solar powered calculators. Anybody has any idea about utilizing them?

Mahesh Joshi
Bhopal, India

mahesh_jo said:
I am having some Solar Array's from old solar powered calculators. Anybody has any idea about utilizing them?

For a start I should try measuring their output, generally solar calculators work on extremely low power - and the panels are correspondingly low outputs.

They are ok for VERY small current applications. Ie. don't try and drive a motor from them continuously :).

JB

You can run a LF pic from such a cell.
But then again, since there is only enough current for the pic, and not for other circuitry it becomes pretty useless (a pic on it's own hardly does something usefull :lol: )

you might be able to use it to trickle charge a battery which is then fed to whatever you want...

I used one to trickle charge a battery which powered a PIC, which was in sleep 99% of the time.

Solar-cell Uses

If it has enough voltage and current to light an LED, then shine the LED on the solar cell and you will have PERPETUAL MOTION! Ha-Ha.

there are many minature robotics people who use these cell, they charge up a capacitor and discharge through a pager vibration motor, examples are light following robots, be warned though - they walk extremly slowly!!! :?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back