Using old Calculator's Solar Array

Status
Not open for further replies.

mahesh_jo

I am having some Solar Array's from old solar powered calculators. Anybody has any idea about utilizing them?

Mahesh Joshi
Bhopal, India

mahesh_jo said:
I am having some Solar Array's from old solar powered calculators. Anybody has any idea about utilizing them?

For a start I should try measuring their output, generally solar calculators work on extremely low power - and the panels are correspondingly low outputs.

They are ok for VERY small current applications. Ie. don't try and drive a motor from them continuously .

JB

You can run a LF pic from such a cell.
But then again, since there is only enough current for the pic, and not for other circuitry it becomes pretty useless (a pic on it's own hardly does something usefull :lol: )

you might be able to use it to trickle charge a battery which is then fed to whatever you want...

I used one to trickle charge a battery which powered a PIC, which was in sleep 99% of the time.

Solar-cell Uses

If it has enough voltage and current to light an LED, then shine the LED on the solar cell and you will have PERPETUAL MOTION! Ha-Ha.

there are many minature robotics people who use these cell, they charge up a capacitor and discharge through a pager vibration motor, examples are light following robots, be warned though - they walk extremly slowly!!! :?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…