Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using MCU LCD data line I/O as analog inputs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosaic

Is it acceptable to dual use the lcd data out lines as analog inputs as well during program execution when the LCD is not being fed data?

I want to use 47K NTC thermistors as temp sensors on PORTB0,1,2,3 which are also the LCD data lines.

Last edited:
You need to read the LCD data sheet very carefully.
>Pull up resistors? 10k +/-30%?
>Input leakage? +/-20uA
How will this effect the 47K NTC and what ever circuit you add to drive the NTC.

If the NTC (+ resistor or whatever) are on the data lines, can the (micro and LCD) pull the data lines high and low.

Well I am short just 2 adc channels. I guess I can reuse the analog inputs sharing a couple of the data lines once the thermistor doesn't load the line by more than 10K. I was intending to measure the temp by loading each line with a 10K pull up and the 47K thermistor pull down.

Judging from the datasheet:
**broken link removed**

The highest temp of the thermistor should not exceed 65 deg C. Which is ok for my app.

I am using it in 4 bit mode.....still short 2 adc. Those data lines ought to be high impedance compared to the sub 50K impedance of the thermistor.

So no data sheet on the LCD you are using....

I looked up two 3.3V and two 5V LCD displays and all have +/-1uA of input leakage on the data lines. Most likely the input current is much better than that.

Do you need help to know how much +/-1uA will effect your reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back