Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using igbt in boost converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

elec123

Hi,

I am currently designing a dc/dc boost converter to get the output of a solar panel (output is 17.7V) up to 100V.

to get the duty ratio i have done the calculation:

k= 1 - Vs/Vo = 1 - (17.7/100) = 0.823

I want to use an igbt for the switch, and i am getting confused about the timing calculations....

I want the igbt to switch at 20kHz so i have done the calculation:

Tp = 1/f = 50us

On the datasheet of the igbt it states the following typical values:

turn on delay time - 25ns
rise time - 17ns
turn off delay time - 215ns
fall time - 13.2ns

This totals 270.2ns which i will need to add to the Ton time to work out the total time it takes to completely turn on and off the switch.

This is the part where i am getting confused....what sets how long the switch is on for? i.e. Ton

Is the calculation below correct?

using Ton = K.Tp
Ton + 270.2ns = 0.823 x 50us
Ton = 40.88us

Basically i need to know if this is correct as these values are used to calculate the L and C values in the converter.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back